How will heat affect bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm fishless cycling my 5gal. I bought a small heater to help it along, but I couldn't find a small one with a temp control. The temp has risen in 2 days to 91 degrees. How does bacteria handle such a high temperature? I surely don't want to kill it off!

I am not sure, but I would turn it off. I know that a temp of 86 or so speeds up colonization but 91 is awfully high. I would also take the heater back and try to find a small one with temp. control.

The optimum temp is 77-86 degrees fahrenheit. I think it starts to decline at higher temps and dies off at 120. You might be ok at the low nineties without too much impact but I wouldn't let it go higher. I haven't seen a non-adjustable heater that lets temp get that high though; usually they're programmed between 75-78 degrees. Is it hot in the room where the tank is?

Thanks bud and librarygirl. I can't take the thing back because I threw the box away. I, too, believed it would be preset, somehow, to a normal temp. The 5 gal is on my desk, and I'm sure the heat from my computer adds to the temp. It is 80 degrees in this room at 6:30 pm.

I unplugged it a couple of hours ago, opened the lid up a bit, and it is now down to 90.

I hate this Petsmart here. They don't seem to stock much for fish. I used to have a small one for a fry tank that had a control. Worked perfectly.

As long as I'm not spoiling my cycle. It seems to be moving along now.

Back
Top Bottom