Huge substrate problem, HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've just taken everything out of my tropical tank (including fish and water), and added some sand substrate. I washed some of the sand, and later i decided to add more, UNwashed sand. The water is unbeleivably cloudy and hast settled, im worried it may be unsettled particles harmful to fish. Please if anyone knows what i could do to stop the murkiness any advice would be grand :)

Rewash the sand. Big mistake not rinsing it. Sand is usually very dirty it took me hours to clean it.

Tetra123 said:
Rewash the sand. Big mistake not rinsing it. Sand is usually very dirty it took me hours to clean it.

Thanks, but i have already put it in the tank as you know, could i possibly just empty, and refill over and over again? Is there a chemical or some treatment i could add? It needs to be fairly quick as my fish are in a tote atm and the water in it is fairy poor :(

Is this play sand? If so that must be AWFUL. I'd take it out an wash it again, Save yourself the trouble of doing a ton of water changes and get it over with now. I recently added play sand to my tank, and i washed it thoroughly, and I still had to do water changes. That stuff is so dirty. Pool filter sand they say is not as bad.
The fish will be fine in a bucket, if the water gets cold add a small heater and airstone.

And no, adding a chemical isn't going to make the fine, silty particles go away.

I've had to do this in the past with certain sands also. Water changes help, and try using Seachem Clarity to deal with the cloudiness, it binds the small particles together to make them large enough for the filter to catch them. Your filter will get clogged up very quickly so it's a good idea to rinse it as much as necessary.

I would agree with the idea of simply pulling all the sand out and rinsing it. Basically start over. Yea is a big pain, but it's a one-time big pain rather than a little pain that persists.

jonesy99 said:
I've just taken everything out of my tropical tank (including fish and water), and added some sand substrate. I washed some of the sand, and later i decided to add more, UNwashed sand. The water is unbeleivably cloudy and hast settled, im worried it may be unsettled particles harmful to fish. Please if anyone knows what i could do to stop the murkiness any advice would be grand :)

What kinda filter do u have? U need to cut a piece of pantyhose and put over the intake, the sand will destroy ur impellers on ur filters!!!!

boadams87 said:
What kinda filter do u have? U need to cut a piece of pantyhose and put over the intake, the sand will destroy ur impellers on ur filters!!!!

Just two regular run-of-the-mill internal filters. One sits with intake end on substate bed, the smaller one sits at the top with, out take valve positioned so it hits the water surface creating natural aeration.

jonesy99 said:
Just two regular run-of-the-mill internal filters. One sits with intake end on substate bed, the smaller one sits at the top with, out take valve positioned so it hits the water surface creating natural aeration.

So its an undergravel? Idk a thing about that kind.

boadams87 said:
So its an undergravel? Idk a thing about that kind.

No, its an internal filter not an undergravel, if the water clears up any time soon, ill take a pic and upload it here

jonesy99 said:
No, its an internal filter not an undergravel, if the water clears up any time soon, ill take a pic and upload it here

Ok
Never saw one like u described

Back
Top Bottom