Hydro Sponge Filter -> cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pylor

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious if anyone has ever put one of the Hydro Pro sponge filters in and had their water cloud as a result. I noticed that the water that I rinsed the sponge in had a film at the top of it afterwards but I squeezed it a good 5 or 6 times (I didn't know how durable it was and didn't want to put wear and tear on it). This morning I checked and my water was slightly cloudy, anyone had any issues with this?

I hooked it up with an airstone which I also rinsed in dechlorinated water and hooked it up to a small whisper 10 air pump (I had a 40 but it seemed to generate too much surface agitation).

If it is the only means of filtration in the tank and you clean it so vigorously, what you could be seeing is a bacterial bloom depending on how many days later it clouds up.
The other thing is that rinsing it so vigorously removes the finer particles that have become part of the mechanical filtration of the sponge.
so it is two fold, you may be damaging/disrupting the biological aspects of the sponge (BB) and after rinsing it will allow finer particles to pass through, but that will correct itself after a few days.

If it a new tank, you should leave the sponge alone for a couple months and just lightly rinse the sponge to remove surface flock.

Also VERY IMPORTANT!!! I just noticed you mentioned rinsing the stone in de-chlorinated water, I hope you are not rinsing the sponge in just tap water, it could be killing off the BB colonies or at least reducing their numbers where you have a mini bloom/cycle each time you clean it.

You should always rinse it in tank water that you remove for PWC's.

The water might be cloudy from you squeezing the filter and loosening material in it. I have a bunch of these filters and never have any cloudiness. Don't be afraid to squeeze the sponges. It takes quite a bit of effort and lots of rinses to get them clean. I am assuming this wasn't a new sponge.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. No fish, New tank, new sponge, both were rinsed in extra water that was prepared but not put into the tank (I fill it with 5 gallon buckets). Tank has been running for a week now with a marineland emperor 280 and a fluval c4 on the back, the sponge is just for biological filtration that can be taken to my hospital/quarantine tank eventually when the need arises. Water was clear till this morning, and the only thing that's changed is adding that filter last night.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. No fish, New tank, new sponge, both were rinsed in extra water that was prepared but not put into the tank (I fill it with 5 gallon buckets). Tank has been running for a week now with a marineland emperor 280 and a fluval c4 on the back, the sponge is just for biological filtration that can be taken to my hospital/quarantine tank eventually when the need arises. Water was clear till this morning, and the only thing that's changed is adding that filter last night.

Oh, well that answers it.
you should leave the sponge alone for 4-6 weeks to let it get colonized with BB. What you are most likely seeing is a bacterial bloom, which may not have anything to do with the sponge. All new tanks cloud up after a week or two as the bacteria begin to populate the water column. You will also notice a film will cover everything, leave it all alone, that is what you want to happen and it will sort itself out after about 4 weeks.
Sounds like things are going as they should then, but I would refrain from any more "cleaning" and just do pcw's of 10%-20% every week or two during the cycle process.

I have used the sponges for over twenty years and just love them for the exact reason u want too but I use it in fry and mama fish tank. You can really squeeze the crap out of them and I agree with post above. Just leave that alone for at least 6-8 weeks. Must. BB form. Then I clean monthly. Alternating sponges if I have more than one in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom