I am the Platy grim reaper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynne SLC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

Looking for some omniscience skills from you all? All 9 of my little platys (3 dwarf reds, 6 reds) died within 24 hours of being in the tank.

I have a freshwater 29 gallon tank that has just finished cycling (fishless). It has a hang on the back filter. Gravel and not planted. Cycled for approx 6 weeks following excellent advice on this site. Temp 74, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrates - 20, PH - approx 7.4. I do not know the KH but have ordered a test kit. I did a last water change with correct amount of Prime and was good to go. I acclimatized all the fish as per advice on here, floating the bag 15 mins and gradual water change (1/2 cup every 4 mins).

I introduced 6 pristella tetra and they are as happy as...eating and swimming. No problem. Platys were also swimming and eating but by 24 hours they were all dead. In their last throws they were curled on their sides with upper side fin flapping but thats about all. What the hell am I missing? Could it be the KH??? Or what else might it be? Why are the tetras all fine?

A very sad start and I don't know what to do from here...
HELP! :eek:

I don't have any good advice to offer, just sympathy. Frustrating, isn't it? :(

I'm going through something similar with a batch of neons I added this last weekend -- three of seven have died so far. Ironically, they share the tank with platys from the same store and who are doing just fine. Go figure. :nono:

My only thought is that there was something wrong in the dealer's tank. Were there any dead or sick fish in it that you could see when you bought them?

Sadly I dont think I can blame the store. It was actually 6 plays total. 3 from 1 store and 3 from another...they were very healthy when leaving the store.

Do you have an airstone? I have asphyxiated several guppies and 2 African Cichlids before I realized I needed an airstone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom