I believe I followed proper protocol in introduced the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am currently starting a new tank. I began cycling the water four days ago. Last night I added 5 neon tetras but they were all dead this morning (stuck to the filer ). The guy at petsmart tested my water and told me it was fine and that the neon tetras can die for no reason. He suggested adding a little primer just to make sure, which I did. He also told me to get Green Cory catfish because they are a hardier fish (I got two and a live plant).

I believe I followed proper protocol in introduced the fish: I introduced the fish by leaving the bag in the water for 15 minutes, adding a bit of water from my aquarium into the bag, waiting another fifteen minutes, repeating that step again, and then waiting 15 minutes before adding the fish (but not the water to the tank).

Now the fish are listless at the bottom, staying relatively still and moving to a new area every 10 or so minutes. (one was swimming quite actively before). They are surfacing occasionally to take a gasp of air at the top. I am sure my tank is well oxygenated though because I have an aerator running. The dorsal fins of both fish are raised. Is this behavior normal? I am worried because my other fish died and I have no idea why. I want to make sure these new fish are able to survive. I appreciate any suggestions!! (Also, I know I posted this in the "Getting Started" Section, I figured I'd also post it here since I really need the advice.) Thank you for any help.

Oh dear. That pet smart guy has no idea what he's doing...cycling a tank takes 4-6 weeks. Before this, ammonia and nitrites are at toxic levels to your fish. I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle and how to properly cycle a tank. Also, neons are not good starter fish by any stretch, and can be very finicky- suitable for established tanks only.

Most likely the Cories will not make it, but to help them try, do a 50% water change, of course using dechlorinated water with prime.

Good luck, and I hope you do well once the tAnk is properly established!

I have been running bacteria through the system for that period of time and thought that would be sufficient.

Is it normal for the cories to stay totally still at the bottom of the water? They ate their food this morning, which I was happy about. (I fed them sinking algae discs, breaking off a tiny pieces and grinding it in my fingers.) Now they are just chilling at the bottom again.

Should I test the water again?

What are you using to test your water? Test strips or a liquid reagent kit? What type of bacteria were you running in the system? Typically a lot of the "starter cultures" don't actually help cycle the tank. A good test kit (liquid reagent) should be all you need to succeed.

Any ammonia or nitrites above .25ppm and I would do a water change and retest.

Cories are goofy little fish. Being that they are fairly new to the tank they still may be adjusting. Typically you'll see them sitting at the bottom or doing their rounds, sifting through the substrate for hours.

I have been using a liquid test kit. Today I got 0 ammo and about 0 nitrites and about 5 nitrates. My corys are swimming around a lot but other times they just chill at the bottom without moving. That seems to be normal behavior.

Do you have emerald corys? I am wondering if I should add another Emerald Cory (for three total) or add another kind of cory and have them school together...

I have peppered cories right now. In my experience the different types of cories will not school together. If you want them to all school together I would buy the same type and try to get similar sized ones. I had some larger albinos with peppers and they never hung out together.

Back
Top Bottom