i got to many questions. but anyways...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
i live in maine where snow is not uncommon to have, ahah, and 3 feet or more has fallen this year so a hefty amount of sand was applied to the road. i want to switch my substrate out of my tank and was wondering if this sand would be usable if i cleaned it a numerous, and i mean numerous amount of times. ??? thanks ahead of time

Are you talking about collecting off the roadways?

I don't think you'd ever get the contaminants out of it sufficiently. Sand isn't that expensive (PFS, for instance is pretty cheap) to take a risk like this.

pool filter sand or play sand you can get for 5-10 for 50 pounds. not worth the risk.

They add salt & other additives to the sand for traction - Up here in snow country, the city has half a dozen recipes for the sand depending on weather & road conditions. So whatever you collect will have lots of other stuff, plus oil & fuel leaks from cars, etc.

You can in theory wash out everything given enough time & effort. Pool filter sand is cheap ($2 a big bucket from a bulk landscape place), so I don't think it is worth the bother or risk.

ive never heard of pool filter sand, i want something that is more coarse than play sand but not gravel.

Depending what I am gluing I use silicon or super glue.

Back
Top Bottom