I need Figure 8 puffer advice from experienced owners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cashimus20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I fell for the common mislabeled "Green Spotted Puffer Fish" scam, and using the advice the LFS gave me he died within a week because of poor water quality. (They sold me freshwater aquarium salt rather than marine salt to establish his "brackish" water.) I've learned my lesson and am now inquiring about a "real" dwarf puffer.

A more experienced LFS claims to have "Dwarf figure 8 puffers" that they claim wont require fully "marine" water at any point and will be content in a well planted 5 gallon aquarium until it matures some, at which point they suggested upgrading to a 10-15 gallon tank with high end filtration.

My first question is "am I being mislead once again by my LFS, in regards to the term "dwarf" and the specifications for his habitat?"

I currently own a well planted 10 gallon tank with a marineland eclipse 1 bio-wheel hood. The tank is stocked with 5 juvenile tiger barbs and 2 juvenile green tiger barbs. My second question is, "if the information above is accurate about the figure 8 puffers, can I slowly acclimate the 10 gallon tank to "brackish" water and then introduce the figure 8 puffer to the tank? Will this be an acceptable long term habitat for the puffer?

Yes, they are brackish, but they need a larger tank. Most people suggest 30 gallons.

Although your feedback is appreciated, you didn't provide me with much beneficial or credible information. Which leads me to believe you are not speaking from experience and are more than likely googling your info. At this point, you can assume I've done my research on keeping puffer fish, so I'm aware that they require brackish water. Also, if I can correct you there is no such thing as a "true" brackish fish. They are all either fresh/brackish, fresh/brackish/marine, or brackish/marine. (GSPs fall into the fresh/brackish/marine category) Meaning as the puffer matures it requires water with higher levels of salinity. Also, the particular species "figure eight puffer" I'm inquiring about, do not "need" anything more than 5 gallons of properly "cycled" and adequately "filtered" water to live comfortably in for most of their adolescence. Fully grown their about the size of your middle finger, and would do fine in 5-15 gallons by themselves assuming the water is properly filtered and the tank adequately "planted".

So for future replies, please keep in mind that I am somewhat informed and that your advice should adhere to the "specific" questions I asked in correlation with the information provided.

Also, I realize after re-reading my post that 7 fully grown tiger barbs and a fully grown figure 8 in a ten gallon would be an issue. As far as tank space, bio-load, and inter species aggression. So assume there were only five barbs in the 10 gallon and I wanted to add the figure 8 after installing a second filter for the tank.

Here is some information that backs up what I said....

If you want to keep a puffer in a 5 gallon tank, you'll need to buy a dwarf puffer. They need lots of live plants, preferably sand, and a filter with low flow but good filtering capacity.
Also, I don't want to be rude or anything. You asked, and I gave you my opinion. You don't need to talk to me like that. If you want some information, Google it yourself.
Anyways, there is no such thing as a "Dwarf" Figure 8 Puffer. It's either a dwarf puffer or a Figure 8 Puffer.

Also, 8 Tiger Barbs will need a larger tank then 10 gallons. If you added a Figure 8 Puffer to that tank, they would all kill each other.

First off, just to clarify, you have Tetraodon biocellatus, correct? Just wanted to double check since your lfs gave you a jumbled common name. Though, I assume from your second post that Tetraodon biocellatus is indeed what you have.
Secondly, in my experience, tiger barbs (even just 5 of them) are not well suited to a 10g tank because of their adult size and rather feisty nature. I would not recommend tb for a 10g tank even if they were the only fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom