I Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KerryK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in rural central Texas (Lockhart, the barbe
I don't know where to start, but here goes---
Have had my aquarium a little over a year (29 gal, using a BioWheel Filter with 2 media cartridges). I have 3 shubunkins (Whitie, Blackie & Goldie) who started out in my 45 gal water garden, but there was a mishap during our first cold snap in central Texas last year and they became my indoor fish. BOY, HAVE THEY GROWN!:cool: Everything was going along fine until I put some lucky bamboo in the tank about 3 to 4 months ago. Then I started having problems with cloudy water. I also discovered several times my BioWheel wasn't turning. The filter housing was backing up with water and flowing back into the tank. Also, the 2nd filter was really dirty and continues to be this way. I try to do weekly 10% water changes, but my schedule sometimes is thrown off. I have now taken all decorations & plants out of the tank, leaving just the shubies & 2 black mystery snails. When I perform the water changes, the water looks like it wants to clear up, but then gets cloudy again.

The fish don't seem to be in distress (like gasping for air at the top of the tank), but I certainly am over not having clear water like I used to. What should I do or try? Does anyone think the shubies are too big for the tank (they're about 5-6 inches now)? Could it be the BioWheel?

Thanks,

Kerryk

sounds to me almost like since your biowheels are not turning as they should that your tank is doing a "mini cycle" everytime you do a waterchange.

First yes the fish are getting too big for the tank. Second cloudy water isn't necessarily anything to be concerned about. What color is the cloudiness? White or green?

Have you tested your water parameters? I would start out doing a larger water change if it were me. 50% or more. When doing your water change what do you clean aside from the tank? Do you clean the filters? The bio wheels not turning may be a sign that the water supply to the biowheels are getting plugged. Unplug the filter and clean the water line to the filter. What brand filter is it? Were the plants live or artifical?

Hi Anne,
The water is cloudy white, and I haven't tested it. I clean the inside with a magnet velcro cleaner first; then vacuum the gravel & remove about 10% water; refill the tank with dechlorinated tap water; replace the filters when they need it (lately the 2nd one gets dirty very quickly); clean the intake tube & impeller now monthly. I went a long time before doing this (stupid newbie) because I didn't remember reading it.
I use a Penguin BioWheel filter with 2 filters because of the fish. Maybe it is plugged, although I couldn't see any blockage the last time I cleaned it. I'm suspecting something is wrong with it because I did a 25% changed last week, and the water looked semi-clear, but started clouding the next day.

The plants were real and seemed to do good in the tank.

If I had to move up to a larger tank to keep my fish (I've become quite attached to them), would a 55 gal be adequate? Or should they go back to a pond home? I would hate to see them go.

Thanks for your response

Your fish are getting too big for a 29. White cloudy water is prob a bacteria spike, ususally indicative of lots of NH3 & organics. I would check your NH3, NO2 & NO3 to see where things are at. The live plants are good in removing excess nitrogenous waste, but I doubt you have enough in a 29 to look after waste produced by 3 shubunkins!

Goldfish, esp. single tails, need lots of room. It is not just the water volume, but also the surface area. 55gals are too narrow (front to back) to give much surface area and are not ideal. I'd go for a 75 or 80gal (get a wide rather than a tall) for optimum SA & swimming space (and these only take up a few inches more space front to back compared to the 55). If you want more room (or maybe more fish, go for a 6 foot tank like a 120).

Another alternative are the breeder tanks. These are shallower tanks that have larger surface area than the show tanks. The breeder tanks actually suits goldies better (show tanks are more for tropicals). A 40 gal breeder (3' long) would work better than the 55 show, but a 4' breeder (50 gal) is even better.

No matter what tank you choose, get a big canister filter (double the rated volume) so it can handle the waste goldies put out.

Of course, you can also keep the shubies out in the pond & only bring them in for the winter. You can set up something like a 100 gal rubbermaid tub (or feed trough) pretty cheaply as a winter home.

A 55 would be not wide enough for your fish. Shubunkins get large so the more room the better. OK the Penquin doesn't have a spray bar if I remember correctly. My magnum's do. You don't replace the biowheel filter do you? Your filters are too small to handle the bio load your tank is producing. I also like cannister filters.

I would agree that you are suffering from a bacterial bloom brought on by most likely high nitrates. You should up the amount of water changes to at least 50% a week if not twice a week.

I do agree with jsong, a rubbermaid container with a filter, and airstone can work very well for a winter home for the fish.

Thanks for your advice. I have been trying to find breeder tanks on line, but it has been difficult. Right now, money is kind of in short supply, and I can probably only afford to upgrade to a 55 gal. I live in a rural area and have to go into a larger city to get testing strips, but will do this quickly. Member Zagz suggested doing a 50% water change once or twice per week. She also agrees with a canister filter; the Rena's are very expensive, though. I will test and keep changing the water, and maybe the shubies will just have to move back outside to their 45 gal water garden.

Kerry

You might want to look at getting a used tank, or waiting for a good sale (I got a New 80 gal at PetSmart on sale for $100 this Christmas - less than the price of a 55). I don't think you should settle for a 55, as it will eventually prove inadaquate & you end up wasting your money. Your pond might well be your best solution.

I second a used tank. For the last 11 tanks I have got, I went used each time. More bang for your buck. Try googling Craigslist for your area and you may find a deal.

Back
Top Bottom