Ich? And how to treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear that :( remember if you move your neons to also keep the heat up for your kuhli to make sure you kill the ich. But remember these things happen when you buy fish its not your fault we have all been there.

Will do. It's just so sad! But i think it sort of works out. They were always nipping at my khulis and were on their way of being returned anyways. If everything is great for a month in the tank THEN I will get new, compatible with khuli, fish and QT them!

If my Khulis arnt showing any spots now, I leave it turned up for a week right? Lol just making sure.

Will do. It's just so sad! But i think it sort of works out. They were always nipping at my khulis and were on their way of being returned anyways. If everything is great for a month in the tank THEN I will get new, compatible with khuli, fish and QT them!

If my Khulis arnt showing any spots now, I leave it turned up for a week right? Lol just making sure.

Yep just keep an eye on them, the spots might come back.

I came home to see my fishes covered in these spots! At first I though maybe they kicked up some sand but it was on everyone. Mostly the neons.

They didn't have them yesterday, nor had any signs of illness (nice colouring, eating same and their normal playing selves). So of course i search the internet and read up on ich. The only things I can think of that would have caused it is the new addition of my Khulis!!!! If so, would I tell the LFS where I got them from that they had ich?

I know you will all ask me parameters but I don't have any. I get my water tested at LFS every week (it's near by and the kiddo loves it). I did order my own kit online two days ago though!

The last test (Friday) showed everything was good just a very small trace of ammonia which they told me was normal for a new tank. I have a 20 gallon I cycled for about 2 months (fish less if it matters). It has live plants, 5 neon tetras and 4 khuli loaches. I do water changes weekly and everything appears normal (clear water. No sick plants or anything).

If it is ich, how would I treat it with all that? I keep reading tetra and scaleless are sensitive and need half treatments. Also about the whole salt and turn up the heat which I am very nervous about both! I am so scared of killing them! I am going to petsmart & LFS tomorrow to get their opinion and water tested but would love to hear experienced nonbias opinions (trying to sell me things ect). I hope they will live until then, I am so scared of them dying! Sorry this is so long! Hope you can see the pics well.

You might wanna get some vitamin for your fish. It boost their immunity.

I would get RId ICH +. I'm using it right now with my temp raised to 86 and so far so good. I'm on day 4 of treatment and the spots are disappearing. My fish are also active as normal. Many push against meds but sometimes the heat and even salt are not enough. There are cases where neither do the trick as a result of a mutation in the parasite. I'm not saying meds are the all powerful cure but so far Rid ICH is helping for me. Good luck.

Update- so today I returned the neons to petsmart =( I felt like such a bad person but I could see them going down Hill and it was like any second they were going to die. Their spots weren't going away. If they had more life I would have probably tried the meds. I asked the guy, out of curiosity, what they'll do with them and he said they have a QT in the back and will give them some mela fix (?). He said he would be really surprised if i got the ich from them, because they treat them often with mela fix. And they were probably picked on by other fish in my tank (they read my water and all was good), which is silly because my khulis just minded their own. But the neons did nip at eachother alot. He told me I should pick some mela fix up, put it in my tank and it should be gone by the weekend. My Khulis arnt showing any spots or symptoms of ich so I wasn't willing to put them at risk! So just keeping the temp up for the rest of the week. And if all is good by the end of the month maybe introduce new fish (ya know after I QT!). Hope I never have this problem again! Makes me nervous to get new fish.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice! Your all so helpful. I love that i stumbled on this app!

You maybe want to try another one, i just bought a new one for my tank and it drives me nuts with the noise like yours it vibrates loudly!

Today my husband brought home a "curtain" stone (I was using a sugar cube looking one) and I no longer hear my pump! I don't know how or why but y guess is the "curtain" has more area for the air to be released. Maybe it'll help you out too if you haven't already returned it! Plus it's so much prettier hehe

Today my husband brought home a "curtain" stone (I was using a sugar cube looking one) and I no longer hear my pump! I don't know how or why but y guess is the "curtain" has more area for the air to be released. Maybe it'll help you out too if you haven't already returned it! Plus it's so much prettier hehe

Thanks! Will definitely give it a try, mine drives me crazy :)

Melafix does not prevent or cure ICH so don't waste your time or money on it. Most petsmart and petco employees don't know what their talking about so stick to the forum for advice. I find myself constantly giving advice to people in the store just because I can't help myself when an employee tells someone something that is totally inaccurate. The problem is those stores are trying to make money, not ensure that you become the premier pet owner and provide up to date advice.

Just wanted to update. Temp is still at 86- wends day will officially be an entire week, so long as everything stays in the clear. Doing WCs/vacuuming every other day.

My Khulis are doing amazing! Spotless, active and eating. They are definitely way more happy and comfortable without the neons nipping at them (like I said. Even without the ich they were on their way back to the store!). When I upgrade I'm getting 4 more. They are officially my favorite fish!

Just wanted to update. Temp is still at 86- wends day will officially be an entire week, so long as everything stays in the clear. Doing WCs/vacuuming every other day.

My Khulis are doing amazing! Spotless, active and eating. They are definitely way more happy and comfortable without the neons nipping at them (like I said. Even without the ich they were on their way back to the store!). When I upgrade I'm getting 4 more. They are officially my favorite fish!

That's great to hear, glad things are improving for you :) i love my kuhli i have 14!

That's great to hear, glad things are improving for you :) i love my kuhli i have 14!

Glad I'm not the only one geeking out over Khulis! They have the cutest faces. And remind me of otters or ferrets the way they play and interact. They're growing fast too. And thick! I just bought some shrimp pellets for them and they went crazy over them! Out of curiosity what foods and how many times a day do you feed them? I was feeding flakes while looking for sinking pellets (no place near me had any! Only cichlid kind). I feed flakes once a day (8pm) and today gave them shrimp pellets this morning. Would this be over feeding? Sorry so many questions!

Also was wondering if a 5 gallon would be too small for a QT? All I would be getting is (hopefully) 4-5 more Khulis, 8-10 dwarf rasboras and maybe a trio or so of platies. Of course not all at the same time. They're all pretty small but not sure if it would be bad to keep them in a 5g for a week! Especially the rasboras. They're tiny but I want at least 8.

Glad I'm not the only one geeking out over Khulis! They have the cutest faces. And remind me of otters or ferrets the way they play and interact. They're growing fast too. And thick! I just bought some shrimp pellets for them and they went crazy over them! Out of curiosity what foods and how many times a day do you feed them? I was feeding flakes while looking for sinking pellets (no place near me had any! Only cichlid kind). I feed flakes once a day (8pm) and today gave them shrimp pellets this morning. Would this be over feeding? Sorry so many questions!

Also was wondering if a 5 gallon would be too small for a QT? All I would be getting is (hopefully) 4-5 more Khulis, 8-10 dwarf rasboras and maybe a trio or so of platies. Of course not all at the same time. They're all pretty small but not sure if it would be bad to keep them in a 5g for a week! Especially the rasboras. They're tiny but I want at least 8.

My kuhli usually eat what i put in the morning for my elephant nose and at night i give them shrimp pellets, algae wafers, flakes or blanched veg they sometimes eat the bloodworm i drop in.
The 5 gallon I'm not to sure it's pretty small i think it will depend how many fish you put in it for QT.

One more day and I can finally turn down the heat! I am so excited. I've been eyeing plenty of plants I would love to get already! Also can't wait to upgrade (of course in a couple weeks just so I know, for sure, I am safe) and start a QT. Are there any signs I should be looking for that ich is coming back? It really sprung on me by surprise. One day spots just appeared all over those darn neons.

Khulis are all spotless and super active as usual. So happy didn't lose any! One more day =)

My kuhli usually eat what i put in the morning for my elephant nose and at night i give them shrimp pellets, algae wafers, flakes or blanched veg they sometimes eat the bloodworm i drop in.
The 5 gallon I'm not to sure it's pretty small i think it will depend how many fish you put in it for QT.

I love your elephant nose! I never heard of them before and had to look at your pics. I love that entire tank he is in.

One more day and I can finally turn down the heat! I am so excited. I've been eyeing plenty of plants I would love to get already! Also can't wait to upgrade (of course in a couple weeks just so I know, for sure, I am safe) and start a QT. Are there any signs I should be looking for that ich is coming back? It really sprung on me by surprise. One day spots just appeared all over those darn neons.

Khulis are all spotless and super active as usual. So happy didn't lose any! One more day =)

Just keep an eye open for them really scratching, glad things have improved :)

Update- slowly turning heat down. Everyone is spotless still, happy and doing the happy khuli dance as I type this (just did a water change). I have no idea how anyone gets exact temps when adding in more water! Hope I don't kill anyone in te future doing this, it is always off a couple degrees. I am so excited to get new plants and upgrade (in a few weeks!). Then eventually more fish yayay. Thank you everyone for your help! Hope I dont annoy anyone if I update this a few more times, just until I know the ich if gone for good.

Back
Top Bottom