Ich help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sprital63

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g tank and had 3 glow tetras and some shrimp, added a pleco and ich showed up. Caught it late and started treating and tweaking treatment as I did more research but all my fish have died. My shrimp seem fine. Currently my tank is at 82 F added salt yesterday and am almost 24 hrs into the first dose of API ich treatment. My question is, with no fish to watch for signs how do I know if I have successfully treated the ich? I plan to follow the API directions and do a second dose in 24hrs and a water and filter change 48hrs after that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To be honest if you have no fish I would remove the shrimp, empty the tank and clean it out really well and start over. For future to avoid this I would quarantine new fish for at least 2 weeks. Ich is an avoidable problem if you utilize quarantine.

To be honest if you have no fish I would remove the shrimp, empty the tank and clean it out really well and start over. For future to avoid this I would quarantine new fish for at least 2 weeks. Ich is an avoidable problem if you utilize quarantine.

+1 all it takes is an ounce of prevention. I learned the hard way too buddy. I'm going to be setting up a QT tank soon for new fish I get.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Clean out the tank as mentioned above.
I brought home Ich from a non-QT purchase once. Vowed to not add anything without QT. Stuck to my word. 28 months later, I have some new fish in QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. I completed the ich treatment and will do a full clean on the tank. We decided to upgrade to a 30 gallon and keep our 10 as a QT. Will the shrimp be ok to add to the new tank once it's set up?

Shrimp will be fine to add in. Ich can attach to shrimp but won't get the nutrients it needs to survive so will just die off.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom