ich, how much salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becky_boo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help.
I have a case of ich in both of my tanks.... my fault because I didn't quarantine fish I added about 5 days ago (bought from pets at home). ive removed all the plants and quarantined them in a tank im currently cycling because I intend to treat with heat and salt. I wanted to know how much salt to add to the aquariums bearing in mind I have neon tetras, cories and aquatic frogs.
I have been slowly raising the temp in both tanks over the last 2 days since I first noticed the white spots on the fish. the neon tetras and my injured black phantom tetra seem to be the only ones showing the white spots but im aware that the entire tanks are now infested
thanks for any advice, Becky

No salt. Cories and other scaleless are sensitive to salt. Turn the temp to 86 and keep an eye on them. Only turn the temp up about 1-2 degrees every 45-60 mins so you don't stress them out.

Caleb

I don't believe there is a need to remove the plants. Temp at 86 worked great for me. After you see all the white spots gone, give it another 5-7 days afterwards to make sure there isn't any left over.

Daily water changes are helpful too. Salt actually does nothing to ICH, it just assists the fish with the healing process and lowers their stress because they can "breathe" easier.

I've seen a lot of advice on the web to add salt to 1.002 - 1.003 specific gravity to treat Ich. I don't get it. Salt water aquariums get Ich too, and they are like, 1.025! So, uh... what adverse effect against Ich does salt have, really?

I too found Ich in my tank, so I raised the temp to 86-88F, and it accelerated the heck out of Ich, massive white spot coverage overnight. There have been reports of heat resistant Ich, and well... clearly I found it! :banghead:

According to (dated) documented research, 85F is said to halt reproduction and break the cycle (Ich dies off in 4 days, no longer able to infect), and 90F is said to flat out kill Ich. Hence the advice to target 86 (insure higher than 85F). None of these temps did ANYTHING positive in my tanks!!! (luckily, fish didn't mind sitting at 90F for a few days).

I'm sitting at 84F now, and treating with Rid-Ich Plus with fingers crossed. I have an Angelfish and a Blue Ram that are about to bite it... just riddled with white spots. Unbelievable - heat resistance. Grrrrr.

But again, salt? Someone please explain that one.

Well to my understanding it will look worse before getting better. My understanding is at 86 it cannot reproduce anymore. Does not mean you wont see new white spots, its just they wont multiple, and the life cycle i believe is 48 hours at that temperature. So you still may see white spots for multiple days after you raise it to 86.

But after a couple of days, once the spots start to disappear they should not come back.

I believe i explained myself properly, anyone else have an opinion?

Well to my understanding it will look worse before getting better. My understanding is at 86 it cannot reproduce anymore. Does not mean you wont see new white spots, its just they wont multiple, and the life cycle i believe is 48 hours at that temperature. So you still may see white spots for multiple days after you raise it to 86.

But after a couple of days, once the spots start to disappear they should not come back.

I believe i explained myself properly, anyone else have an opinion?

You are pretty spot on. The temp accelerates the Ich life cycle which is why it looks worse. It will go away

Caleb

I just got over ich in my tank. I raised temp to 89 for a day, added 1 tbsp salt per gallon, then got worried 89 was too hot and backed it down to 87 over a period of a day and left it at that temp. White spots gone in 3 days. Also to note, the salt had no effect on my plants (except maybe made them taste better for my wife's severum).

Some plants are actually very sensitive to salt. Most are pretty resilient but it's still not recommended.

Caleb

Some plants are actually very sensitive to salt. Most are pretty resilient but it's still not recommended. Caleb

I unfortunately read that after the deed was done and i was pulling up to my office. I thought about it all day and panicked I was coming home to dead plants and boiled fish. I know I got lucky. I have since performed a 40% water change.

Some plants are also sensitive to heat which is part of why I backed down from 90 to 87 as well.

I know heat accelerates ich, I was expecting that. However, I was also expecting to see the spots drop off within 3-4 days, which did not happen with heat. Rid-Ich Plus seems to be working now in one tank at 83F with spots dropping, while my other tank at 88F with no medicine still exhibits spots. Both got ich the same day.

Still not seeing how trace amounts of salt in freshwater have any effect, considering saltwater tanks get ich too.

I see no reason to use salt IMO. But heat will cure Ich even if it takes longer. And it's free.

Caleb

I've seen a lot of advice on the web to add salt to 1.002 - 1.003 specific gravity to treat Ich. I don't get it. Salt water aquariums get Ich too, and they are like, 1.025! So, uh... what adverse effect against Ich does salt have,

But again, salt? Someone please explain that one.

Marine ich and freshwater ich are two different diseases. Marine is caused by the protozoan cryptocaryon irritans, freshwater is caused by ichthyophthirius multifiliis.

Using aquarium salt, sodium chloride, in high doses can cure freshwater ich as the parasite can't live in that environment. It does take a high concentration and usually takes longer than any of the other treatments.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi gain, thanks for all the replies.
I removed the plants because I didn't want to kill them all with the salt treatment and I had an empty tank to do it ion so not too much of a hassle.
I have been reading that heat alone can be ineffective, it accelerates the life cycle of the ich but doesn't always kill it off completely and there are heat resistant strains surviving 90 degrees.... didn't want boiled fish.
why add salt? because ive been reading that most fish parasites cannot tolerate any amount of salt, but was unsure of the dose to use. I know that my cories and neons can be sensitive to salt but ive also been reading that if added slowly they will tolerate it
still no idea of the dosage
any advice greatfully recieved

Marine ich and freshwater ich are two different diseases. Marine is caused by the protozoan cryptocaryon irritans, freshwater is caused by ichthyophthirius multifiliis.

Excellent, that would totally explain it. They are different beasts.

So in answer to OP, you need 1.002 to 1.003 specific gravity salinity with aquarium salt. Best to use a refractometer to be sure of the level, or hydrometer. Absent of that, I believe its 2-3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Would be a good idea to raise salinity over the course of a day or two, i.e. slowly, and don't add directly to tank, but dissolved in a jug or bucket first.

Back
Top Bottom