Ich on New Fish - Cycling Too

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyFishFoxy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 3 electric blue rams the other day and they have ich. There is a blood fin tetra in the tank. I treated with Metroplex tonight. Meanwhile I am cycling a larger tank with SafeStart. There are two tetras in the cycling tank. I have medicated both tanks. Should I put the tetra now with the rams into the cycling tank so I can increase the temp in the rams' tank? As far as I can tell the tetra is not affected but I will treat just the same. 3 fish ok in 20 gallon too many for safestart cycling? Can I do periodic water changes?. Any ideas would be appreciated! I'm so worried about my fish. :(

3 fish in a 20g while you cycle should be fine. If you are medicating all fish I don't see a problem with putting them together unless you feel your other separate fish aren't diseased and you don't want to take the chance.

Make sure you aren't running carbon in your filters if you are using metroplex.

If you are doing a fish in cycle then you will have to do water changes regardless. Just test your water for ammonia and nitrites daily to gauge when these show up and when you will have to do your water change.

If you decide to stop using meds you can treat ich without them. Bump the temp up to 86 degrees. Make sure you are only raising the temp 2 degrees every hour until you get to 86. Do a 20% to 25% daily water change with a light gravel vac (vac the surface of the gravel, don't go deep). You can also add aquarium salt. Dose at 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water.

Back
Top Bottom