Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my rainbow shark is starting to show signs of ich. I just noticed today that he seems to be rubbing his sides on the gravel and when i looked closely I noticed a spot or 2. The other fish seem ok so far. I also noticed that his dorsal fin and his 2 side fins are looking a little white on the edges. Could this be from the ich also? I am about to treat my tank with Rid-Ich. I was also wondering if it would be beneficial to add Pimafix and Melafix to the tank. I have some already but wasn't sure if it might interfere with the Rid-Ich or not.

Why don't you just raise the heat to 86*? And do some water changes? It might be fungus on his fins though, which Melafix will help. I am not sure about the meds + the heat though, so I hope someone else will chime in.
Good luck! :)

I'm worried about just raising the temp mainly because I had ich in my tank a few months ago when I had just started stocking and I started by just raising the temp and my fish just kept getting worse. After a few days I added the Rid-Ich and most of the fish recovered. I did, however, loose my rubber lip pleco and one of my dojo loaches. I already have Rid-Ich on hand so I just wanted to go ahead and do everything that I possibly can.

When you use heat, it will always look worse before it gets better. :) Ich can only be killed in it's free swimming stage.

Well, after thinking about what you posted, dkpate, I decided to use the raised temp along with the Melafix. I have seen no signs of ich in about a week now and my rainbow sharks fins are back to looking normal. Unfortunately I lost my rubber lipped pleco but I'm just glad he was the only one. How long should I leave the temp up at 86 degrees? I just want to be sure I don't lower the temp too soon and have a recurance of ich. Thanks so much for the advice on treating ich!

Sorry for the late reply!!!
Leave the temp up for 10-14 days to make sure you kill ALL the ich, since it can only be killed in it's free swimming stage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom