Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
At first my betta only had one white-ish spot, I thought maybe he just scraped a scale? Well a few days later, he has a few spots so I'm pretty sure it's ich. I would prefer to use the salt treatment just because it's more natural then dumping some chemicals that stain my seals/decorations blue, but I have some anacharis plants and cories, which both don't tolerate salt very well. What should I do? Would the cories be ok with the salt treatment, or do I need to use meds?

Do you have a heater? If you do raise the temperature to about 88F. Do it slowly. The ich spots should dissappear. Leave the temperature elevated for at least two weeks.

I agree with Rich the heat method works the best. Also either add an airstone or lower the water level a bit to add extra aeration in the tank. You can add some salt with the treatment if you want. Many people, myself included, have had success with the heat only treatment.

ok, I was unaware that heat alone was effective. I do have a heater. My water params this morning were ammonia:0, nitrites:0, nitrates:10-15, pH:7.2. Is 88*F a safe temperature for cories and bamboo shrimp also? (its a 10 gal with 1 betta, 3 otos, 3 cories, and a bamboo shrimp)

The temp increase is far safer than salt or meds would be with shrimp and cories. Turn the heat up slowly, a degree or two every 6-12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom