ID crab!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey people! Got me a Green star polyps 4 days ago at my LFS! And now i saw a crab under the coral. The crab livs inside the coral. Thats awesome!! But i dont know if its a bad crab:/, hope not!This is the first time i have seen it, and its hiding all the time.
Here is some pictures, best i can show at this time
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391371074.660696.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391371094.464481.jpg

Its allsow a brisselworm i thing inside the coral

Hi did strike at one of my big aptasia (pest anemome) thats a good thing i think! He did eat some.
Here som more pictures

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391372232.502952.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391372245.646004.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391372259.583045.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391372272.735564.jpg

I had a crab exactly like this in my tank. I saw it yesterday - was planning to remove it before adding more corals - and today I saw it reach out and grab my new baby Flame Angel. I Had no idea that they would actually grab a swimming fish. The fish was about 1 1/2 inches long. Killed instantly by this beast!

Looks like a Porcelain crab to me. Google it and you'll see what I mean.

Red spots in clusters on arms are what make me think it's a porcelain.

Porcelain crabs (which aren't true crabs, but are actually more closely related to squat lobsters) mostly have flattened, rather angular claws. The claws in this crab, in contrast, are rather chunky and rounded. The black claw tips and other details still make me think it's a stone crab.

Porcelain crabs (which aren't true crabs, but are actually more closely related to squat lobsters) mostly have flattened, rather angular claws. The claws in this crab, in contrast, are rather chunky and rounded. The black claw tips and other details still make me think it's a stone crab.

That's true, good point. I was mainly looking at markings rather than physical characteristics (and an by no means an expert haha.) The claws themselves on this specimen are proportionally shorter than one would find on a Porcelain, as you pointed out.

Either way,it shouldnt be able to grab a healty fish..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks like a Gorilla crab to me, because of the black tipped claws. I can't see in the photo, is it hairy? if it is then it's definitely a Gorilla, and those are pest crabs!

Def not a porcelain crab. I'm in agreement with the claws being a giveaway in this case. I'd catch and move. A tall glass leaned up against a rock with some food in it should do the trick.

Agreed. Could be a threat to other inverts so I'd also recommend keeping it confined or moving it.

Back
Top Bottom