Idk what's wrong with my Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zfro09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Oscar about 4 inches a portion of his body scales are gone with slimy clearish stuff coming from that spot.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?.5ppm,0ppm, 0-2 ppm, 80 degrees, 7.2
3~ How large I ax ls the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 55 gallon. 1 month
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

CF300 aquatop 264gs an hour
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
1 Oscar 1.5 in, 2 jack Ds 3in and 2in, 2 angels 2in and 3in, 1 pleco 2in
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 3 days ago with vacuum 50% this morning no vacuum. Usually 25-50%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? All about a month
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?new dechlorinator COLOR Am X, new pieces of driftwood
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flakes and cichlid gold

I really need help anyone?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't answer what's wrong but your tank is way over stocked. I would remove everything except the Oscar if that's the fish you want. You shouldn't be seeing ammonia either. It's not a lot but its still some and your filter is way under powered for the ammount and types of fish you have

Ok thank you

What if I just left the 2 JDs and the 2 Oscars till I get my 120g

Ok i really have an issue now. My Oscar now has a massive open red sore and I don't know if it's an infection or injury from my jack dempseys because they are in breeding mode. Any suggestions on what I should do? Also his left fin is frayed

yrahy5et.jpg

Sounds like he has hole the head, your tank is ridiculously overstocked, one oscar should ideally have 60+ gal, you need to regime everything but one jd or one oscar, you'll have nothing but problems, do lots if water changes until you move some fish...best if luck

It looks more like he's getting beaten on by the dempseys. Either them or he needs to be put in a different tank.

I suggest my suggestion above and you need to qt that Oscar and start a very light salt treatment. Tank temp in qt should be at about 80-82 and salt go for 1 tbsp per 10g to start. Next you need to do atleast a 50% wc on qt tank per day. This should help your Oscar heal and start rehoming some fish.

I'm taking everyone out except my JDs since they are breeding as we speak

I'm taking everyone out except my JDs since they are breeding as we speak

For long term you are going to have to completely redo the stocking on your tank to keep everything safe for your fish or the same thing is going to happen again.

God I hate that I don't research I learned my lesson.

God I hate that I don't research I learned my lesson. Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
weve all been there! You're already winning because you've found a good forumn for advice! My prediction is.. 2 months from now you'll have a great tank with happyyy fishiesss! Or pissed off oscars;)

Back
Top Bottom