I'm getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaseyCip22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK gang, so I'm getting ready to cycle my tank, after my disastrous bout with two goldfish last weekend (which you can read here)

I'm following these instructions minus the bubble wand or a heater because I just don't have any more power outlets behind the tank. So I went out and got an API Master Test Kit, Aqueon Water Conditioner, and a gallon bottle of Ammonia (it's all the drug store had).

2 questions:
1) My tank is full and has been since last week, so do I need to add the conditioner to the water that's already in there?
2) Because I couldn't find a smaller bottle of ammonia, I'm not really sure how to measure it out. What exactly is 4pp? or 1pp?

1 If the water was already conditioned then it should be fine.

2 I'm assuming you mean 4 ppm or 1 ppm, to cycle a tank you should have 4ppm or less ammonia, if you put too much in, it will kill the bacteria you are trying to promote. As far as measuring it out what I did, was use this calculator Calculator
you can find an ammonia calculator in the bottom, add in the amount of ammonia it says, then check it with my api test kit to make sure I had the right amount.

Ah cool thanks. It says I'd need .80 ML of the ammonia to reach 4ppm in a 5 gallon tank. It also says 5ppm recommended, which would require 1ML...

Now to find something with which I cam measure .8-1ML of ammonia. Doh!

Its a 5g, right? Do you only plan on keeping a single betta or something similar? If so, I would only dose to 2-3pmm. 4ppm is really overkill in a small tank and can prove problematic trying to cycle it. Try your local drugstore for a 1ml syringe. Or you can use an eyedropper- dont quote me on this, but I believe theres around 20-25 drops in 1 ml.

Back
Top Bottom