Im looking for advice on what snails to use in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im not new to aquarium keeping i have had a 55 gallon tank for 5 yrs but i dont claim to know everything. Im looking for advice on what snails to use in my tank i have a sand base and the margarite snails do not seem to do well in it is there a better breed of snail for sand?

DaleHauze said:
Im not new to aquarium keeping i have had a 55 gallon tank for 5 yrs but i dont claim to know everything. Im looking for advice on what snails to use in my tank i have a sand base and the margarite snails do not seem to do well in it is there a better breed of snail for sand?

Astrea will clean rocks, glass, and pumps, move kinda slow, but clean well. If they fall over, cannot right themselves and will die.
Banded trochus (my favorite) will clean rocks, glass, pumps. Move pretty quick.
Conch will clean the sandbed, only need 1 per 2' of sand floor.
Cerith stay mostly on glass, will go under sand line some.
Turbos clean really well, but can get really big and clumsy and knock corals and rock over.
Nassarius eat detritus, will go on rocks and glass in search of leftover food. They also keep your sandbed stirred when they burry themselves.
Nerite will clean rock and glass.

That's all I know. It's best to get a variety, cuz they all have their own purpose. I have conch, Nassarius, astrea and banded in trochus in my 55.

Imo Nassarius snails should make up the bulk of your snail population which I would reccomend 1 for every 2 gallons and if your scaping and corals are secure a turbo for every 10 gallons. Those two alone will handle all the "chores" in the tank but if you don't want the large turbos you could trade them out with some margaritas at one for every 5 gallons... This is all opinionated though :)

Mrc8858 said:
Imo Nassarius snails should make up the bulk of your snail population which I would reccomend 1 for every 2 gallons and if your scaping and corals are secure a turbo for every 10 gallons. Those two alone will handle all the "chores" in the tank but if you don't want the large turbos you could trade them out with some margaritas at one for every 5 gallons... This is all opinionated though :)

+1 on nass i have 25-30 in my 55 they do great in keeping sand stirred and devour any uneatin food

Back
Top Bottom