Importance of tank depth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nphsmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This will be my first marine tank. I went to Lfs with a spec that included maximum size of 140*60cms, stating that i was interested in fish, soft corals and crustaceans. They have come back with a recommendation of a tank that is 140*60cms, and 90cms high (that's 36 inches). Generally, when i read around most tanks seems to be 24 inches/60cms.

Other than giving me more gallonage, are there obvious advantages to deep tank? It would be about 200 gallons, which feels...vast. What are the disadvanatges of 90cm depth?

I dislike any tank over 24" in height because it is much easier to manipulate decor or general maintenance when your entire arm or half your body isn't underwater ;) Does that seem trivial? Well, not if you are the one having to work in it (I work with tanks of heights exceeding 30"). If you are looking in the 200g range, why not purchase a standard 180 (72x24x24)? <--my fave size :)

With a tank that deep, as well as needing a snorkel to aquascape and arrange coral near the bottom, you're also going to need some very powerful lights. I would wait for a shallower tank. JMO

yep..you can't reach the bottom and it's harder for light to reach the bottom. i would go with a 21"- 24" tank if possible.

a tank taller then 24" just looks weird if you ask me, i also like 24" wide x 24" tall, i might go with a 96 inch long though. easy to buy T5 lighting for it :p 48" fixtures are a standard fixture so genereally better priced and easier to find

Back
Top Bottom