in tank salt container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha_p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to a petco yesterday, I noticed the small containers
with salt in all their fresh water tanks. I ask the clerk working
in the aquarium section,he told me that this is the best way of
adding salt to the tank as supposed to just dumping it.
he said that dumping the salt in the tank can affect the quality
and chemistry of the water? what do you guys think is the petco
way a better way of adding salt?

That way a good way to do it, it allows the salt to dissolve into the water and the container keeps the salt from filtering into the substrate.

I do have to say though, there's no need for salt in an aquarium unless you are treating for a disease or nitrite toxicity.

If you are that worried about adding salt to the tank why not dissolve the salt in hot water in a smaller bowl and then add that water to the tank. That would be even better than the "Petco method" and you don't have to buy anything from them. Personally I think it's just another money making opportunity for them since the "unexperienced hobbyist" will feel that they need a special salt container. I just measure out the amount I need and put it into the tank, including my discus tanks. I agree that the only time you NEED salt in a FW tank is when medicating or to reduce the toxicity of nitrates.

This is a little unrelated to this thread, but I'd be REALLY cautious of buying any fish from Petco. Long story short, they don't take care of their fish the way they should. Ask the nearly dead male Betta my girlfriend rescued from there yesterday... She's a lurker on here, but doesn't post much. My two female bettas I rescued weren't a ton better. After yesterday, I'm done.

OK, soapbox rant over with... :)

Back to the topic, I'm new here, but not to fishkeeping. I agree that salt isnt needed unless you are medicating/filling your tank with distilled water.

Im kind of with bs6749 on this one. Ive never used salt until i had columnaris infect my tank about a month ago... I do daily 50% pwc's and using a container to dissolve my salt was too much. I have a mesh media bag that i put the salt in then hang in the tank. It dissolves pretty fast in front of the spray bar from my filter. And it only costs me about 10 cents more to do it this way

Back
Top Bottom