Inconsistently cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
When my tank was cycling, my water was crystal clear. Ever since adding fish and plants a week and a half ago, I have never been able to get the same clarity. I feed my 5 cardinals once a day, and they consume all of the food within two minutes. Some days, my water is cloudy. Others, it is pretty clear. One thing I have noticed is that in the morning/an hour after the light comes on, the water is pretty clear. It seems like the water gets cloudy as the day goes on! I have watched my fish...they don't mess with the sand or anything. I cleaned my filter media last week in tank water in a bucket to make sure it wasn't clogging things up. What's going on here? It seems that ever since I have been in this hobby, my water is always cloudy.

What are your water parameters. It could just be a BB bloom since you just added fish and have been cleaning the filter media. If nothing else works try adding filter floss.

I used to use filter floss in my canister but I remember it never did much. Ammo and rites are zero. Nitrates last time I tested were 10-20ppm. I fishless cycled so everything should be in order...

Your tank is still new and the water is safe for the fish so I would just give it sometime and keep up with the maintenance.

Is the water cloudy or is it just the glass being dirty? What kind of food are you using? Cheap stuff can cloud the water.

It isn't the glass. While the glass is developing some algae I can distinguish between the two. Using TetraMin flakes.

Dxed the situation, I think. From Wed. to Fri. last week I was away from my apartment. I had last fed Tetramin flakes on Tuesday afternoon. When I looked at my tank on Friday, the water was pristine. This, to me, is evidence that the Tetramin flakes were polluting my water in one way or another. I fed them again on Friday and am returning home tonight. Today I purchased OmegaOne brand as I have heard good things about it...I used to use Kens Fish for my Africans but haven't gotten around to ordering food from them again. I miss that stuff! Let's see how the Omega works out.

what kind of water dechlorinator u using? i changed to prime and my tanks are crystal clear. i was using tetra aqua clear.

Well, I always used Prime in the past, but I had to use Nutrafin or something because my local store didn't carry prime. I was finally home and was able to purchase Prime again. Haven't used it yet. Prime is the only dechlor. worth using anyway.

Back
Top Bottom