Info on sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristin90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am needing some info on sand in my tank instead of gravel. It's been set up for a mo th and a half now but I want to change to sand. Any advice would help. What kind of sand is good, how much sand, and how to change it. Thanks

Hi Kristin and Welcome to the site btw. I myself use PFS (pool filter sand) and really like it much better than gravel. :)

Thanks. I had read of a bunch of people using it,, how do u go about changing it.. Do I need to remove my fish, and do I need to wash the sand prior to adding it to my tank??

Kristin90 said:
Thanks. I had read of a bunch of people using it,, how do u go about changing it.. Do I need to remove my fish, and do I need to wash the sand prior to adding it to my tank??

I soaked my sand in a big bucket with water and kept dumping the water out and stirring or churning the sand until the water ran clear. I removed my fish before adding the sand by putting them in a large plastic tote with tank water. And keeping my media in a separate bucket with tank water as well so not to kill the beneficial bacteria. But I think there are others on here who left their fish in their tanks. Hope this helps! :)

I just set up my 110 gal tank with sand and I used silica sand it's a real fine white sand and it's easy to clean if I was you I would pull my fish out drain my tank down as much as possible put the sand in and fill it backup really slow add some air stone in as you fill tohelp settle the sand after you get about 4'' of water in it mix it up to get the air bubble out from under the sand it can cause a cave in if to big of a pocket forms and as fas as how much sand to us depends on the size of the tank and one other ? What type of filter do you have. Oh and by the way I bought two 75 lbs bags of silica sand at ace hardware for $6 a bag and other hardware stores carry it. I hope this helps just reply or pm for other ?s I'll be happy to help

It's a 30 g tank. And as far as the filter goes havent a clue. Lol. The tank was given to my sister and this is our first time with the tropical fish but we are actually doing quite well with it. Ive always wanted the sand because the gravel holds so much and it's not as pretty... The only thing I can tell u about the filter is it's got double sides and its one of the waterfall ones. And a tube coming from the center of the filter down into the tank. I appreciate the help. Google doesn't offer ad much help as you guys. And our pet store down here, well let's just say I probably know more than they do about fish. Lol

Ok well for a 30 gal tank you prob need 30-40 lbs of sand so for 6 buck you can set up two tanks with silica sand it's a real pretty sand and easy to clean and about your filter if it goes all the way down to the floor you may want to pull out a section of the tube if you can or you will need to put like a pond filter sponge on the end so it doesn't pick up the sand I'll post some picks on my profile in just a min if you want to see what the sand looks like and feel free to pm with any ?s I've worked in three different pet stores and know alot about it

Ok. I have the a piece of sponge material in the filter already. Along with those blue things u put in there. It's about a 1inch or a 1 1/2 from the gravel. Ok thanks. I appreciate all the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom