Instant Cycle Question, New 4ft Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

levellers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone

I'm currently migrating from two fully established planted 50l tanks to a single 200l tank. I've been in the hobby around 6 months so my experience is limited.

The new tank has an Otto 1200l/hr canister filter to which I have added the foam (cut into smaller pieces so its spread evenly) and ceramic noodles, and a cup of gravel in a mesh bag from one of the other established tanks. The other tanks have been running for 6months and are completely cycled and ammonia free.

The new tank has been running for 7 days with a few of the cheaper fish for an ammonia source. 6 neons, 6 Endlers. Here the readings over this time.

Day One:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 4:
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5

Day 6:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0

PH is steady at 7.4

My question is... Is this the maximum ammonia spike I can expect because of the seeded media? Can I assume as its dropped to zero and the nitrate is 5.0 that the bacteria colony has formed enough to start neutralising the ammonia?

Can I start to add my more expensive fish from the smaller tanks?

Currently left in the smaller tank:
2 Corys
1 Peppermint BN (Juvenile)
Pair of Blue Rams

I recently went to a 75 gallon from a 20. I used some filter media from the 20 to seed the 75 and stocked it with danios. I didn't have any readings on my (daily) tests until about 2 weeks in when I started seeing nitrates. Never did get any measurable ammonia. So to me it sounds like you are pretty well cycled. Just remember to stock slowly so your bio filter can catch up. If you're moving plants I think you should be good to move those whenever but move your fish a few at a time and then give a few days or week to let things stabilize before moving more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome. Thanks heaps for the reply. Still 0 ammonia today and 5 nitrate. I'm going to slowly add the remaining fish over the next 48hrs or so and keep a close eye on it.

That might be a bit fast depending on how many fish you are taking. But just keep a close eye on your water parameters and be prepared to change the water if you see a spike in anything. You'll probably be fine. Good luck.

Good point. Maybe I'll go a bit slower. Thanks for the advice!

Good luck and congratulations on the move to the larger tank. It opens up so many more possibilities.

Here is a pic :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414809342199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414809342199.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom