Invertebrate Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been thinking about setting up a tank specifically for invertebrates, but I've been having lots of trouble finding anything other than snails and shrimp. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with interesting freshwater inverts. Tank size is as of yet undetermined and will likely depend on what critters I end up choosing.
Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

I love freshwater inverts! Those that I keep, other than shrimp and snails, are electric blue cray, cambarellus patzcuarensis (dwarf crays that are commonly referred to as "CPO's" and "dwarf patz", cambarellus shufeldtii (another dwarf cray), and thai micro crabs. There are many types of snails such as apple/mystery, nerite, and tylomelania/rabbit. There's tons of shrimps as well. There are dwarf shrimp like red cherry, blueberry, blue pearl, yellow, mandarin, crystal red, and tigers, to name a few, and larger filter feeders like bamboo and vampire shrimp.

One thing to watch out for, is crabs such as fiddlers, red claws, and vampires, that the fish shops will often sell as aquatic freshwater crabs. None of these species can thrive living their entire life underwater, so make sure to avoid these unless you have researched their needs and have a tank set up to meet them. :)

Back
Top Bottom