is it enough to cycle the tank in the proper manner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a75gal fowlr,have about 50lbs. of lr in tank for now going to purchase some more in the future.but is it enough to cycle the tank in the proper manner.have all the good filtration stuff,pts,ls sump,lr,uv streilzer.i know i need more but will this due for now.is there a proper way to clean the lr?I had the tank setup now for 3 and a half months now.

Last edited:
you put the rock in 3 and a half months ago? it's been cycled by now. it will support a moderate bio load. you can start enjoying your tank.

3 1/2 monthes? Is it not cycled? 50lbs is not enough to handle a normal load IMO. but it will cycle and you will get nitrifying bacteria but IMO it will not be enough to handle the normal load of a 75 gallon tank. So yes IMO you could cycle the tank and add a fish or two but you will need to add more LR to get the full benefit of the size of your tank. I would keep a very close eye on the ammonia levels as this will be your indicator! Hope this helps, and hope someone will correct me if im mistaken.

2 fish? unless you are speaking about 2 five inch fish, i would say you are mistaken.
the more live rock you have the better, providing it's not compromising the flow in the tank, but you can keep 2 fish in a tank with no live rock without adverse effects, providing the tank husbandry is adequate.

can i dip my live rock in a seperate bucket of sw then place it back into the tank?

just use a turkey baster or aim a powerhead at it, just before you do a water change. i wouldn't remove it.

Back
Top Bottom