Is my aquarium overloaded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candidly_Carol

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

My room mate had an old aquarium that he had been neglecting for months. After I moved in there were only 3 zebra Danios surviving in the 10 gallon tank.

I cleaned the gravel, decorations and let the tank do its thing with regular 15-20% weekly water changes for the past 2 months. Over the past month I added 2 Lemon Tetras and 6 neon tetras.

Total Fish Count:

- 3 Zebra Danios (Soon to be re-homed to a larger tank once it has completed cycling)
- 2 Lemon Tetras
- 6 Neon Tetras

They all seem to be thriving although, I'm not a fish or an expert. ;)

I would love to hear some input particularly on what varieties to add , that is if I can. What do you all think?

Thanks!:fish1:http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Hi, you can use aqadvisor.com for calculating your stocking. But I think you are almost maxed out now :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

You know, a simple but generic way to know if you are just about full is 1" of fish per gallon. That's what is recommended for 'the lowest maintenance.'

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1" per gallon is old method and not used these days.

I do not recommend a 10g for any of those species as they are all active swimmers.

Of the 3, the only species I'd even try keeping in a 10g are Neons. And you'd be maxed out on those.

Ideally in a larger tank I'd have big groups of each species. Lemon Tetras look amazing in big groups of 10-20.

I prefer Nano fish in 10g.
I can have 8 CPDs easily. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417970973.912889.jpg

Or little Rasboras like Chili Rasbora.

This is an old vid. My tank was overstocked. But I also have a ton of plants and all my fish except Otos are small. http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

I don't recommend stocking this heavily esp for newbies.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The inch per gallon rule is meant for small schooling fish, like what the OP has. Someone usually comes along saying how it doesn't work because you can't keep a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank or something to that effect. Yeah no kidding :) misapplying the "rule" doesn't demonstrate anything. After all, you can't keep a 100 inch fish in a 100 gallon tank since the fish would be longer than the tank.

But in cases like this it works fine, and in fact is quite conservative. More so than aqadvisor, which is really conservative. According to the rule one can keep 5 neons in a 10, though that's hardly the tanks capacity to hold fish. It is very rudimentary though, seeing as the length of the fish is but one factor of many to consider, which is why it's best reserved for mindless fish like tetras and stuff that aren't very complicated. And too, not all gallons are the same. Some are tall, some are wide, and some are imperial. The shape of the tank has a lot more to do with stocking than the number of gallons it holds - something the inch per gallon rule does not take into account.

I am in total agreement on the actual stocking comments and suggestions though. 10 gallon is as small as it gets for schooling fish, and too small for most at that. I would stick to fish that top out at no more than an inch, like the CPDs and chili rasboras mentioned.

Hi, you can use aqadvisor.com for calculating your stocking. But I think you are almost maxed out now :)

I use AQADVISOR, but I have more plants than fish. I seem to have adapted the "less is more" philosophy. I have water terrariums with fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do too lol! :D

Back
Top Bottom