Is my Betta dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noodle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It seems as though my Betta is dying and I am unsure why.
He was purchased as a pet one month ago.
He is in a 5 gallon tank, treated water, heater 74 degrees and on a normal schedule as far as feedings and light.
We did a 100% water change two days ago and ever since then he has appeared very ill.
He floats to the top, same spot, doesn’t move. His fins look clumped together. He isn’t eating. No white spots.
We tested the water and the water is fine. I understand we took out some good and bad bacteria but I read online 100% water changes were safe.
Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you so much in advance

Welcome to AA!

Can you post your water parameters for us? Specifically we're looking for Ammonia, NitrIte and nitrAte levels.

We brought the water to the pet store and they tested it for us. I am unsure what the levels were. The lady informed the PH was a little low but that was normal due to the 100% water change.

Also, we do not have a filter. All the information I looked up informed that Betta do not do well with filters, due to the water movement.

The fish heater was set at 80, then I was worried that he was getting sick due to the temp so I put it to 74 .... which did not make a difference as far as his symptoms were concerned

Thanks again

pH can go up or down for many reasons, and really isn't that important as long as it's roughly stable. My pH goes UP from water changes, so the fact that person at the pet store said that it's low due to a water change, etc, leads me to believe they might not really know what they're doing or saying. Being 'too low' is extremely vague, and unless you are buying RO DI water your pH will be whatever it comes out of your tap at at this point.

What you read about Bettas not doing well with filters is absolute fiction. If they don't like an area of flow, they will not sleep there, that's really the only affect (negative) a filter would have on a Betta.

Just to note: Don't read tone into my text, I'm not telling you off even though it may sound like it.

Thank you Tim for that information
I will try a filter out this weekend and will also test the water again

Thank you Dkpate
We just turned the heater up to 80
Hopefully he will come out of this

There appears to be blood dripping from the fin
Any suggestions on how to go about saving his life? Or what may be wrong?

If it's from the gills, yes, but we don't know that yet, it was described as coming from the fins.

Thank you everyone for your help. Greatly appreciated.

We had the water tested again and the ammonia was high. I am assuming he has rot fin and treating him accordingly.

Did another 100% water change, treated the water and added bettafix (mixed reviews?), getting aquarium salt, tried out a filter but it moved the water to much so we are going to research a more gentle version.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!!

Oh and the "blood" was from his fins.
I am not 100% sure it was blood.
I read online that fin rot could be easily mistaken for bleeding

At this point ... I am being really hopeful it is fin rot ... because from what I read it is treatable.

I hate seeing him suffer =(

It's most definitly the high ammonia levels. I recommend you get yourself a good, quality test kit (like the API Master Freshwater Test Kit) and keep your ammonia and nitrIte levels below 0.5ppm at all times.

Back
Top Bottom