Is my cycle done???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 30 gallon aquarium that I started a fishless cycle in on December 10th. I have been using an API master kit to test my levels. My ammonia has gone to 0 a number of times and each time I've added more ammonia the nitrite has been really high on all of those times.

On December 31st my nitrite went to 0 ppm, ammonia was 0.5 ppm, and nitrate was 160 ppm I added more ammonia to the tank, but I think I added too much because it sent my ammonia level way high so I did a 25% water change to help bring it down.

Yesterday my ammonia was at 8 ppm and my nitrite was 5ppm
Today my ammonia is 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 80, pH 7.4. I'm thinking my cycle is done, and that once I do a water change to get my nitrate level down I'm good to add fish....would I be correct? How much of a water change should I do? What is an acceptable nitrate level?

Dose the tank to say 3-4ppm ammonia and if it clears in 24hrs do a huge water change (90%) and re test, you should then be good to go.

*Let me clarify, both ammonia and nitrite need to hit 0 within 24 hours

As trooper said, when ammonia and nitrite are already zero, dose ammonia to 4 ppm, wait exactly 24 hours, then test. If they are both zero, do water changes to get nitrAte down to 10 ppm, and then add fish!

Back
Top Bottom