Is my goldfish fat?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had Mr Stripes since mid August 2013 and he has easily trebled in size, while my other fish are growing more slowly.

I feed them flakes twice a day and a pea supper.

Am I over feeding? I am really concerned that Mr Stripes is getting obese!

Pictures below

Attachments

• image-1234696508.jpg
    image-1234696508.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1108648860.jpg
    image-1108648860.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 157
Fat bloated or pregnant, do you have other males in with him also what size tank is he in? Maybe cut down to just one feed a day also have a complete break from feeding once a week to help them flush out there systems this is a good time to give them a deshelled thawed pea!

Hello,
I am not sure whether there are males or females - they are all babies under 1 year old.
I am really concerned :-(

What are the water parameters? Size of tank how often do you change the water?! It could be that your goldfish is in fact female and heavily
Pregnant however to be on the safe side you should test your waters! Is he acting any different at feeding time etc is he swimming normally?

The tank is still cycling. It is 150L with an Eheim filter. I change 15% of the water daily, and have the tank heavily planted.
The parameters are ok - nothing alarming. Ammonia not higher than 0.25, Nitrites low and Nitrates acceptable.

"He" is acting perfectly normally - very hungry, active and his mild mannered self. Despite being the biggest in the tank, he is not a bully. He just swims around minding his own business.

I don't think he is sick. I am just worried I might be making him fat!

I feed enough flakes the fishies can eat in 5 minutes, but he has this trick of storing flakes in his mouth like a pelican, and then going back for more.

I always pre soak the flakes with aquarium water. I sometimes feed pellets, too.

:-(

I wouldn't worry massively if all behaviour is normal and water parameters seem
Okay your ammonia should be 0 however your tank is still
Cycling so the water changes are a must! I would advise feeding once and small amounts feed enough to be eaten within two minutes, don't feed for once a week or every other day also on the day of from feeding put a few de shelled peas in to help with there digestion, if the size doesn't decrease I would look towards he being a she and pregnant or extremely fat I could possible be dropsy where the fish swell but I think this is unlikely with out any other symptoms, did he suddenly get fat or was it a
Gradual process?

Good question - he has grown rapidly since I got him in mid August.

As you can see in the pics, he has grown in length as well as girth.

He has always loved his food! He reminds me of my parent's Labradors with his appetite!

Fish will always appear to be starving and would eat until they pop if they could!

A fishes stomach is roughly the same size as there eyes so they require much less food than what you might think.

Over feeding will also lead to
The water becoming polluted which could explain your ammonia.

It may be his natural shape as there are some peculiar shapes amongst goldfish however I would try the different feeding techniques and see if you notice a change.

I can not tell from the picture angle, but is this a single or double tail goldfish?

When you initially purchased him (though I suspect its actually a her), he/she was extremely emaciated. For a single tail goldfish, he is a bit round though this would be expected in a female. For a double tail fancy, I would actually expect him/her to be a bit more rounded than pictured but will likely develop with age.

Hello, he/she is double tailed and was sold as a Fantail, but I suspect from the long body form that she might be a cross with a Comet / Common goldfish.

The other Fantail fish I have a more rounded and shorter, and are growing much more slowly ( but just as hungry!).

She was wafer thin when purchased - I don't think the guy in the shop feeds very much, judging from what he tells me to do with feeding.

Roz

More pics taken this am

Attachments

• image-4179084208.jpg
    image-4179084208.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-107128330.jpg
    image-107128330.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1184867948.jpg
    image-1184867948.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 140
That is such a relief - thank you!

Everyone (family and friends) keep telling me I'm over feeding for a fish to grow that quickly, and that I'll make her ill.

It distresses me to think she was so malnourished before - may explain why she now gobbles food and stores it in her mouth!

Sorry to take up your time - it may seem minor to an expert, but I really don't know much about looking after fish, and I don't find books v helpful.

:)

Back
Top Bottom