Is my platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish owner

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got new platys and one of them is either overfed, pregnant, or has swim bladder disease and I cannot tell. I need some help because I'm new at this. What do I do?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200610_180448.jpg
    MVIMG_20200610_180448.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 36
  • MVIMG_20200610_180447.jpg
    MVIMG_20200610_180447.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 37
Swim bladder disease, also called*swim bladder*disorder or flipover, is a common ailment in aquarium fish. The*swim bladder*is an internal gas-filled organ that contributes to the ability of a fish to control its buoyancy, and thus to stay at the current water depth without having to waste energy in*swimming.

Unfortunately, many cases of*swim bladder disorder*do not respond to*treatment. If the fish*does*not recover in a reasonable period, the humane resolution may be euthanasia.

The first step in*treating*this*disease*is to perform a large water change in the tank and to dose the tank with Metronidazole. When*treating*the tank with*medication*you will need to remove the activated carbon from your tank filter

The disease may be caused by*intestinal parasites*or by*constipation*induced by high*nitrate*levels from over feeding

She keeps swimming around like the other platies I have in the tank. She's just more territorial than yesterday. I just bought her yesterday and she looked like that. All the levels (nitrite, ammonia, ect..) in the tank are good, being that they were just checked yesterday. She is in a community tank and is acting fine. I just want to know what's going on with her.

Well, sometimes can be stress as well..
If she is pregnant let her be, but if you notice something strange like unusual swimming or breathing, consider it swim bladder

I have a mild infection "general" medication for type B and its called melafix, im using to treat ich, im not 100% sure it will cure. But i think its always nice to have a "general medication" avaiable for this cases of suddenly diseases from new fish.

Alright. I'll give her a couple more days to settle in before I give her medication. If she is pregnant or stressed I'll leave her be. If she starts showing symptoms of swim bladder disease I'll get her medication. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom