Is the Ich Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatorador

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I noticed a little over a week ago that one of my fish had Ich. I immediately removed him from the tank with the other fish and started treatment. Unfortunately, he still passed away. I've been treating the other fishie for about a week just to make sure that he was healthy. He is a black moor goldfish, and for some reason I can't tell if he still has a white spot under his left fin, or if it is part of his coloring. I want to add another fish to his tank (and turn the filter back on!), because I know he is a fish that lives in schools but I don't want to potentially infect the other fish. His behavior is perfectly normal no rubbing, or anything of the sort. Do you think it would be okay to stop treating the water, and bring in a new little guy? :ermm:

Some extra information: I have been using medicine to treat the Ich, and doing 25% water changes during the course of the treatment.

A lot of things here. Most importantly, ALWAYS follow the directions for the ENTIRE time as stated. This is very important wether it's for fish or animals or humans. When it "looks" as if things are fine and you don't follow out your meds to the end, all infections (can and do) begin to build up immunities to certain meds.
Go here : http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-blogs/fish-biz-buzz/2010/06/far-east-super-ich.aspx

Now you say you want to turn your filter on, so it's not running at all ?? Why exactly ???

What fish had the ich to begin with and what else is still in the tank ? Size tank ? Parameters ? Where did you learn they are "schooling" fish ?

DO NOT GET ANOTHER FISH FOR AT LEAST A MONTH !!!! Especially if you have any question if the other is okay, or you haven't treated for the entire time of the directions. Also, with the meds your using, it may have some impact on your bb, so it's quite possible you'll experience a mini cycle.

A lot of things here. Most importantly, ALWAYS follow the directions for the ENTIRE time as stated. This is very important wether it's for fish or animals or humans. When it "looks" as if things are fine and you don't follow out your meds to the end, all infections (can and do) begin to build up immunities to certain meds.
Go here : http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-blogs/fish-biz-buzz/2010/06/far-east-super-ich.aspx

Now you say you want to turn your filter on, so it's not running at all ?? Why exactly ???

What fish had the ich to begin with and what else is still in the tank ? Size tank ? Parameters ? Where did you learn they are "schooling" fish ?

DO NOT GET ANOTHER FISH FOR AT LEAST A MONTH !!!! Especially if you have any question if the other is okay, or you haven't treated for the entire time of the directions. Also, with the meds your using, it may have some impact on your bb, so it's quite possible you'll experience a mini cycle.

+1

Hi! Can you please provide us with some more information so that we can better help you? Tank size? Exact stocking? Parameters? Filtration? Water change schedule? Temperature? A picture of the affected fish will also be helpful!

As already well stated, do not consider adding any new fish for minimum of a month, preferably longer. Goldfish, particularly fancy goldfish, are NOT schooling or shoaling fish. They are 'social' fish (some of the time) but are perfectly fine as a solitary fish. Feel free to ask any questions you may have! :)

Back
Top Bottom