Is this algae good to have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi gang,
This is a pic from my wife's aquapod, recently set up w/ no inhabitants.
We have lots of green growing, some is leafey and some is fine and feathery. the pic shows both. I am running lights ( PC 64watt) 9 hours a day. PO4 got kinda high during the dead shrimp cycle, used PO4 remover pad to lower, no other water parameters out of check.

Is this a kind of nuisance algae or just the normal stuff, I have not had this lush green algae grow in any other tank.
thanks,

Attachments

• plant detailed (Small).jpg
    plant detailed (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 48
  • plant (Small).jpg
    plant (Small).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 46
Your picture is a little blurry but it looks like hair algae. Not good.

I agree it looks like hair algae and you'll need to get your excess nutrients in check to get rid of it. Pretty typical of a newly cycled tank. The bottom circle in your first pic, if I'm seeing it correctly, it looks like it may be caulerpa. This is bad only if you let it get a sure foot hold in the rock. Keep it trimmed and it's a great nutrient export.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks,
Today I am going to do the first PWC ever ( 30%), I will try to brush / remove it while siphoning. Plan on putting CUC in this evening or tomorrow, hopefully they will help. Shortening the light cycle some, by a couple hours. The excess nutrients would have to be from the dead shrimp I cycled with last week, hopefully with having only one very small fish planned for this tank this won't be a problem or last long.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom