Is this an aiptasia anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frany123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone ID this for me? It just showed up from nowhere!!

img_1378608_0_67ab79345ab5d95569d9b99a27a5de28.jpg

img_1378608_1_6066adccf51d7bf938eb7e146db868f7.jpg

not sure. let it open up a bit more and gain some color. it resembles the body of an aptasia anemone, but i've never seen one bleached like that. they usually keep their brown color under the worst conditions and nothing more than ambient lighting.

Yes looks like it to me too, I have also found the odd bleached one in my tank. It probably got buried and slowly made it's way back up to the light.

I thought that's what it was but since it's white I wasn't 100% sure. I read that they are pests what do you guys sugest me to do?

Take it out and kill it...

lol sounds so evil

Anywayss just make sure not to try to pluck it or smear it off the rock, that causes them to spread more. I found that injecting them with lemon juice or just squirting it into their mouth worked, I left the current off for about 10 minutes to really let the juice soak in.

Me evil...
QGHGfpeCUMMhgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
icon_twisted.gif

but ya if it is on a small rock I would take it out and boil the **** out of it. lol or scrub it off rinse with vinegar, then water, then put it back in.

wow I didn't know you can't say ****... hello without the o

I felt evil lol but I took the rock out and soaked it in lemon water, didn't have vinegar. ;) Thanks guys!

It was 2 fragments,one had the aiptasia the other marjano, the biggest one was about 3 inches wide. It worked but it also pretty much killed everything else on the rock, it's as if I bleached it. At least they were small and the little pests are gone and no more plaggng my tank. :)

To me it looked like something that I have in my tank and thought it might be an aiptasia but it turned out to be xenia. The tentacles seem to be a little thick on it to be an aiptasia and I don't see a mouth, I would have waited like mr X said.

Back
Top Bottom