Is this Brown Algae / Diatoms? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some brown discoloration on my PFS substrate as well as below the level of the sand against the glass in some places. Please take a look at the pics. What is this? Diatoms? What can I do to get rid of them?

This tank is a 6 month old 29 Gallon, moderately planted. I run a Finnex Planted Plus 3 hours on, 3.5 hours off, then 3 hours on again every day. I dose about 5ml of Excel every day, plus Flourish comprehensive once a week as well as Seachem Iron once a week and Seachem Potassium once or twice a week.

s7K5mBql.jpg
[/IMG]

CmbCkefl.jpg

That looks like brown diatom. Daily glut/excel helps to slow down its growth but does not eradicate it and does not completely prevent it from forming. It is caused by silicates in your tap water and from what I have read there is nothing that can be done to prevent it, short of relocating to a new town with different tap water parameters.

Also, it is said to be triggered by other factors including low light and low bioload (too few fish). Algae eaters like Otto, Siamese algae eater, and bristle nosed plecos eat it.

If kept under control it will usually run its course and stay at a minimum.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If kept under control it will usually run its course and stay at a minimum.

Yes, but how do you keep it "under control"?

I dose daily glut and if I stop dosing for 4 days straight I get a very noticeable increase in brown diatoms.

Water changes apparently don't help because the silicates (main culprit) are in the tap water.

Manual removal keep the glass clean almost every day and before your weekly 50%pwc use your fingers to get it off any plants and a (new never used) toothbrush to get it off the decorations. It will usually run its course.

Now for on the sand just very lightly stir up the very top layer. Nonscratch pot scrubbers work well also.

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if running a small amount of Seachem's Phosguard in my filter would help? The only thing that gives me pause is that it supposedly removes silicates and phosphate from the water. Since phosphate is one of the macros that plants need, I don't want to remove all of it. I suppose I could try only running my new water through it during my water changes, but that sounds like a big hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree, treating tap water is a big hassle IMHO. Cleaning the glass is a lesser hassle.

Neve used it. Purigen is a good product it is rechargeable and does not remove ferts.

Back
Top Bottom