Is this driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DjBootleg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went hunting for some driftwood after work. Went to a local creek and spotted these. They were near the water to where if it rained they would be submerged.

Also there was some what I think to be apple snails there as well. I grabbed one. I love snails in my tanks so it would be awesome if its ok to put Em in. Let me know! Thanks

Attachments

• image-3590465822.jpg
    image-3590465822.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image-783116975.jpg
    image-783116975.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image-4182733189.jpg
    image-4182733189.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2591017053.jpg
    image-2591017053.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 110
I personally have never used "fresh" driftwood - but I guess if I did, I would definitely boil the *&!@(*%$ out of it.

As we speak, I have a piece of store bought driftwood that is on it's 4th hour of boiling. Maybe I am over-cautious, but.....

I cannot address the snail, I am sure someone will answer that part that has more knowledge.

Good luck! :fish2:

Valina

I personally have never used "fresh" driftwood - but I guess if I did, I would definitely boil the *&!@(*%$ out of it.

As we speak, I have a piece of store bought driftwood that is on it's 4th hour of boiling. Maybe I am over-cautious, but.....

I cannot address the snail, I am sure someone will answer that part that has more knowledge.

Good luck! :fish2:

Valina

Yes, I am aware about the preparing of driftwood. However, I'm asking if this IS in fact driftwood. Then I will clean it and what not...

And the snail is in fact an apple snail.

my only fear with the driftwood would be what parasites are in and on it. so yea lot of hot hot hot water and multiple cycles of it. i have a friend that used his own driftwood and he used a turkey fryer to boil it in boil rinse 3 or 4 times. his tank has been going for a couple years with no issues.

Yes, I am aware about the preparing of driftwood. However, I'm asking if this IS in fact driftwood. Then I will clean it and what not...

And the snail is in fact an apple snail.

Your question seems odd to me. You found this wood near the water, right? Does it look like its been rotting on the ground or dead on a tree? It doesn't look like it was rotting away to me.

According to wikipedia: Driftwood is wood that has been washed onto a shore or beach of a sea, lake, or river by the action of winds, tides, waves, or man.

I would say that yes, it is driftwood, or was driftwood at some point.

The piece looks of. The second piece only concerns me ONLY because it looks like the bark is falling off still if you wanted to use it I would remove the bark and then boil it.

If it goes into the tank it may eventually wast away and your have bark pieces throughout your tank.

Just a thought.

The piece looks of. The second piece only concerns me ONLY because it looks like the bark is falling off still if you wanted to use it I would remove the bark and then boil it.

If it goes into the tank it may eventually wast away and your have bark pieces throughout your tank.

Just a thought.

Ya might not use the second piece. Thanks !

If you do use the second piece, as you are preping it, you should be able to remove any bark left on it, but both pieces look like driftwood to me as well. Good luck and post pics once you have it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom