Ive been testing nitrate wrong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, been cycling tank for 4/5 weeks. Used a couple of prawns and ammonia shot up then after few days my readings were all 0. My problem is I have a A.P.I test kit and was not shaking the nitrate tube enough! ( don't have instruction card). All tests apart from nitrate are 0. My nitrate now that I'm doing it properly is between 30/40ppm. I take it that my tank has cycled and I need to get nitrate down to 0 by doing water changes? Should I do this daily or weekly? Other problem is I put 3 hermit crabs in on Sunday and 3 turbo snails also! Will they be ok? I feel a bit of a idiot in thinking that all this time my nitrates were at 0. Any advice. Thanks. I'm using live rock live sand and a protein skimmer as my filtration. Also have a couple of powerheads.

sounds like you are alright! 30-40 ... well it could have been much worse!! just be sure to check it again a few hours after the water change and if it's still above 10 I would do another small water change. I hope your crabs and snails will b ok :)

I will have to do it in the morning as I'm out of r.o. All of my critters like starfish etc seem to be ok so I'm hoping crabs and snails will be to.

At least I know I have cycled. When nitrates are out of the way. (School boy error)

Back
Top Bottom