Java Fern Brown Hair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I first get my Java Ferm, they look so good. But eventually they start getting brown hair all over them! I know its not algae, its coming out from the plant itself. I red some things about it but got confused!

Its how the plant reproduces.

New plants form from nodes on the leaves which first send out fine hair like roots and then a plantlet develops. Eventually when the plantlets gets big enough they will detach from the parent plant to find somewhere to attach and grow as new plants.

Every couple of months i remove all my java fern plants to pick off and throw away all the plantlets and excess growth. I throw away buckets full of java fern every year.

Its how the plant reproduces.

New plants form from nodes on the leaves which first send out fine hair like roots and then a plantlet develops. Eventually when the plantlets gets big enough they will detach from the parent plant to find somewhere to attach and grow as new plants.

Every couple of months i remove all my java fern plants to pick off and throw away all the plantlets and excess growth. I throw away buckets full of java fern every year.

Oh okay nice, I thought they were dying!

Do I just remove all the brown hair, and how do I do it? Cut off part of the plants, or just cut off the brown hair? or do I wait till it has new plant and then remove the new ones?

Back
Top Bottom