Java moss??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any benefits of having live java moss?? I had real plants before and they were just messy. Bits floating around tank etc.
Are amazon sword plants any good too???

Is there any benefits of having live java moss?? I had real plants before and they were just messy. Bits floating around tank etc.

Any live plant will help oxygenate the water and also help absorb ammonia and nirates.

That said, in most instances, they aren't a must. Ammonia removal shouldn't be a problem in a cycled tank, and nitrate removal can be managed with water changes. Many tanks do quite well without live plants -- it just so happens I don't have any live plants in my tank, at the moment.

Best!

There are several more benefits to java moss. It provides food and shelter for smaller fish and inverts as well.

Java moss is used by breeders as a spawning site for most fish. Moss also has many microfauna that are an excellent source of food for fry.

Amazon swords and java ferns are nice too. You just have to provide adequate light and be ready to trim them and pull off dead leaves etc. They are more work but imo they make for a much nicer aquarium.

You could but I don't think it would carpet or spread very well, if it did it would be extremely slow.

Marimo moss balls and java moss are two entirely different things. If you want little balls of moss on the substrate go for the marimo balls, if you want to tie to to decor like wood and stones and have it spread go for java moss or similar mosses ie Christmas moss.

marimo moss balls are diffrent to java moss. i have both amazon swords and java moss in my tanks and they are great as they grow easy and dont need alot in maintinance jut keep the java moss out of the filter and life will be sweet

Back
Top Bottom