Jave Moss Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some Malaysian driftwood because I really like the look of it in my other tank and I wanted to attach some moss to it. It's just a smaller piece and looks like this (sorry for the grainy pic attached)

I was looking around on google and I like the look of java moss and christmas moss, but it seems as Java moss is not as demanding and is more hardier as some other mosses for lighting and fertilizers.

The one thing I couldn't find out about it the temperature needed, my aquarium is at a fairly constant 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that ok for java moss? Someone in this forum (can't remember where) said that it would die at a temp higher than 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404189548.377908.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404189548.377908.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 82
Java moss is definitely easier mine grows like a weed whereas my Christmas moss grows very very slow. And I've had it in 83F and it did just as well as it does in high 70s

I've found that all the java moss I've grown thrives in cooler temps. 21 - 25'C (70 - 77F). At higher temps over 27/28'C (83+) I would experience increased rate of browning. This is my personal experience. Your milage may vary.

I love my java moss. I had my temp turned up for a long time to battle Ich a while back. I'm talking 86 degrees for almost three weeks straight. My moss was fine through it all. Just be sure to tie it down good or else it can go all over and make a mess.

Java moss in my experience can be nice as long as you use small amounts when tying it down and KEEP IT IN CHECK. Otherwise it becomes a mess and nothing more then a place for debris to collect.

Thanks everyone!!! I'm so going to get some when my lfs or big Al's gets it in stock

In the summer my tanks get around 80-86 and within a week of putting java moss in all of it is brown and dead

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I guess it just depends on each persons tank then. I'll still give it a try and what happens happens! :)

I ended up getting java moss! and I'm about to attach it to my driftwood now, my LFS didn't even know they had it lol as it was in with the platys and not with their other plants

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404505866.267586.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404505866.267586.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom