Jawfish in Refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just throwing out an idea here. Could I keep a jawfish in my refugium?

I have a refugium section in my sump that is similar to a 10 gallon tall aquarium. So 12 x 9" on the bottom. There is 5" of fine sand, but I could add rock rubble.

I heard jawfish don't come out much anyway and my DT only has 3" of sand so I wouldn't want it up there. I know the fuge is to grow pods and macro algae, but I don't think it would put a dent in the population.

Is this possible or just a plain bad idea? Thanks.

obscurereef said:
Just throwing out an idea here. Could I keep a jawfish in my refugium?

I have a refugium section in my sump that is similar to a 10 gallon tall aquarium. So 12 x 9" on the bottom. There is 5" of fine sand, but I could add rock rubble.

I heard jawfish don't come out much anyway and my DT only has 3" of sand so I wouldn't want it up there. I know the fuge is to grow pods and macro algae, but I don't think it would put a dent in the population.

Is this possible or just a plain bad idea? Thanks.

Now, see I've read that jaw fish like to people watch, especially the yellow-headed ones. And I've read that if you get 2 of them, they do this dance-type thing together. Sounds really cute. So that would kinda suck if it lives In the refugium (unless your refugium is visible, which I doubt), cuz it wouldn't be able to people watch then. :(

Why do you want it in there? Itd be okay to keep it in there temporarily but it might be miserable in a long term. I usually use mine for a holding tank or for putting animals on timeout when theyre bad (IE., when i caught my emerald crab eating my birdsnest like corn on the cob). =)

Well, there are people who have setup there systems with a "show refugium". I think in a setup like this it would be really cool. Of course this means the refugium being out just like the display tank, and is usually filled with the more colorful macro algaes. In a setup like that I think it'd be cool.

Sniperhank said:
Well, there are people who have setup there systems with a "show refugium". I think in a setup like this it would be really cool. Of course this means the refugium being out just like the display tank, and is usually filled with the more colorful macro algaes. In a setup like that I think it'd be cool.

That doesn't sound so bad to live in. I was just thinking of a regular refugium that's hidden away in a cabinet all the time. That just makes me sad to think that a beautiful and social fish like that would be stuck away in a cabinet somewhere.

Yeah after thinking it over I don't think there would be enough room for the chaeto and other macroalgae and I wouldn't want the fish to be unhappy. I'll save that idea for when I do have a show refugium or another tank w/ more sand. Thanks for the advice.

Now, see I've read that jaw fish like to people watch, especially the yellow-headed ones. And I've read that if you get 2 of them, they do this dance-type thing together. Sounds really cute. So that would kinda suck if it lives In the refugium (unless your refugium is visible, which I doubt), cuz it wouldn't be able to people watch then. :(

I've heard of them doing that and that would be a sight to see!

Back
Top Bottom