JEBO 362 Help PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentknight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone this is my very first post to any forum of this nature.

I have been facinated by fish for a long time but never really had anything other than a goldfish.
I have bought a JEBO 362 fish tank which works out to be 25gal. I have replaced the noodle/ round tube things that come standard for some Sera ones of same size/shape as recommended by LFS. i am still using the poly filter pad material. and standard pump. I have replaced 1 or 2 fluros for a blue light as i am expecting to have live coral. I have a water heater in place and set at 25deg C. Sand is a coral variety about 2inch cover. I have the water in which is standard tape water and red sead salt and salinity is at 1.023. After cycling the tank to desolve the salt for 24hrs i have added live rock about 40lbs. This has all been running for 5/6weeks now and i did a part water change 2days ago 6.25gal.
I do not have any other equipment or water tests as yet.
What other gear should i have to make sure my fish and all other living items survive that i add.
I am adding a picture so you get the "picture".

Attachments

• jebo_362_115.jpg
    jebo_362_115.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 377
Welcome to AA.

Nice looking tank, love the 'clam' in the front!

First thing would be to get a complete test kit so you can track changes and know exactly when to start adding livestock.

Where are you located anyway? Must not be American as you correctly use C for temp!!

I'm sure you'll get some good advice form the salties.

You got it i live on the largest island in the world...Australia. I have serveral LFS that test water for free. I had it tested today and they said that it was good to start stocking.
I bought 2 of the black clowns to get started. I would like to get something to help with the house work. Also some coral to add a little colour to the mix.

Moved to Nano Reef forum:

Sound's like your doing pretty good so far. 40 lbs of lr is great and probably helped to cycle your tank. Even with the lfs doing testing I'd still get your own set so you can monitor it at home. The AP Master Test Kit is good for the basics.

The light color has little to do with housing corals although they do tend to like a more blue spectrum. Heat/watts will dictate more if your Jebo tank is able to support corals. More then likely it came with 16-20 watts of lighting which is not able to support corals.

Can you provide a little more detail on what type of lighting came with the tank i.e. NO or PC?

WELCOME TO AA!!

I would maybe get another ph, and definitely a test kit. That is a nice pile of LR and I like the clam also!

Thanks for replying all. The clam is my favorite thing in there at the moment until i get fish. It is just great seeing new little creatures and things coming out of the live rock and popping back in when the sence me.

I will be investing into a set of testors of my own. This will save me the traveling and enable for a more frequent test.

Tecwzrd. I read those links you sent to me thank you for that. It cleared a few things up for me. They were a bit long but well worth the read.

The lights that came with are NO 2 x 20w. I removed one and swapped for coral blue light.

Would i be right in saying that an additional PH is mostly used for moving water around in the tank. In my case. Rather than a pump to take it out or filter.

Thanks Again.

So there was no point in me buying the 20w blue coral light.
I am starting to dislike my LFS. They only seem to be in it for the money.

I am tempted to ditch the JEBO tank and get something else as it seems to be very limited.

The pump that is supplied with the tank has a mechanical air intake to make bubbles. Are they good or bad forthe tank. Having bubbles that is.

My other option is that i remove the hood that seals the top and find a light system that will hang on and put in a sump to filter and add protein skimmer.
As previous i am tempted to start again. At least i will be much better informed by this forum.

silentknight said:
So there was no point in me buying the 20w blue coral light.
It's pretty :p Seriously if it's an NO light there isn't much of a chance that it would be powerful enough for photosynthesis needed by light feeding corals no matter what color it is.

silentknight said:
I am starting to dislike my LFS. They only seem to be in it for the money.
Most are usually. There are exceptions but I always take any advice from a lfs with the goal of selling me something as probably not in my best interests. We only offer advice from our experiences and you usually will get multiple points of view.

Not sure if starting over completely is the answer. Smaller tanks are harder to maintain but cost is much more reasonable if wanting a reef tank. I've dropped over $2,500 on my 55 gal so far.

The larger air bubbles your talking about are mostly harmless IMO. Smaller micro bubbles that come from a skimmer that get into the tank could possibly cause minor issues but even that is unusual.

Is your tank 20" long?

My tank is 24" long (62cm)

The standard light tubes in the tank are 20w, 10,000k, T8

The Blue Actinic light tube one i bought is 23", 20w, T8

The LFS are now saying i can get a 18,000k tube that will allow for corals.
I dont know. Things in Australia are not as well priced as in the USA.

I have placed an order from DR something or other in the USA to get the test kit and a few other bits and pieces.

I have bought and put into my filter a product called Purigen made by Seachem. They say it will help with organic waste. Cost $34.00. I did see it at that same online store for $5.90USD. After i bought it naturally.
What are your thoughts on this product. Will it help do you think. I thought it could not hurt so what the heck. Due to the set up of these tanks i have no way of running a skimmer.

Thank You for your input. You must get alot of these silly question. But the way i look at it is if i dont know the answer than it is not a willy question.

This would be a good light for medium light corals.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13637&N=2004+113345

And something like this if you want high light corals.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12113&N=2004+113345

Honestly, the Compact Flourescent Fixture will get you plenty of light for most anything but some species of sps corals and some species of clams, which generally all do better with Metal Halide lighting.

I have never used Purigen, but if you really want to get into heavy reef keeping (with lots of corals) I would reccomend a good protein skimmer. They can hang right on the back of your tank and some of them are efficient without costing an arm and a leg.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7928&N=2004+113771

or

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4412&N=2004+113771

I wouldn't start over either, but simply make some changes to your tank how.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom