just another reason never to release your fish into the wild...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is no good! Actually when I opened the portal page I saw a pic someone posted of their lion fish, kinda weird.

Its a shame that people dump their unwanted fish into local water systems, makes me think of the snakehead fish or whatever they are called. Not good!

More to the story - they think the fish got out when Hurricane Andrew came through FL and smashed a tank. Story said 6 lion fish got out.

that snakehead fish is ridiculous, i was watching a show on it before and it has been known to attack household pets when it gets out of the tank

Do people actually do that? Release aquarium fish into local water supplies? That seems so rediculous to me. Why would anyone do something like that? It seems like an obvious responsibility to me.

this was not a case of somebody being stupid and releasing lionfish into the wild... but it has happened in the past... the snakehead epidemic in philadelphia is believed to be caused by someone releasing one

The lionfish thing is scary...who would think that all of that could have been caused by 6 escapees...that seems totally wild but I suppose with a lack of natural predators who knows, anything is possible.

usgs.gov also says that they think some local fish merchants released some of the snakefish to establish more of a food supply...it just seems rather short sighted for anyone to not think about the effects on the local eco system when doing that. Especially with a fish that is capable of land travel like that one....too freaky.

I just hate to see aquarists taking the rap when I don't know or at least have not talked to anyone who would do that. But then I suppose there are a lot of people who just might not think about the far reaching conseqences.

I too watched a show on the snakehead and they claimed that the initial fish (which happened to be released in the first lake that the snakeheads were found or something along those lines) was released by a guy who bought the fish for an ailing relative (to make some time of food that was supposed to help or something...) but either she died or got better and so he released the fish in the lake. Part of the ritual though was if the fish was no longer needed to release it as part of a ceremony to receive good luck...

They appear a lot in ethnic food marts where the fish is a traditional dish etc... People smuggle them here, but now they can just catch them I suppose ...

Back
Top Bottom