Keeping minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there.

I have a 60litre aquarium, 5 months old, with a goldfish and four minnows (White Cloud, I think). Trouble is, the minnows seem to be getting longer. Also, two of them have swollen bellies. So two questions: firstly, how big can I expect them to get? And secondly, are the bellies swollen because they're full of eggs? I saw another thread where a member came back one day and suddenly had 40 baby minnows in her tank (help!!)!:fish1:

bbay said:
Hi there.

I have a 60litre aquarium, 5 months old, with a goldfish and four minnows (White Cloud, I think). Trouble is, the minnows seem to be getting longer. Also, two of them have swollen bellies. So two questions: firstly, how big can I expect them to get? And secondly, are the bellies swollen because they're full of eggs? I saw another thread where a member came back one day and suddenly had 40 baby minnows in her tank (help!!)!:fish1:

First rehome the goldfish or get a larger tank.

They are way too messy and grow too big for a tank that size, sorry but it's true.

Pictures would help greatly, that way we can ID the problem.

Also do you know your water Params? If so what are the exact numbers please?

Thanks for the reply. My parameters are: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 80, pH 8.2 (I'm slowly adding buffer to get it down a bit). I agree the size of the tank will def be too small if I get 40 minnow babies!! Photos attached - what do you think? :thanks:

Attachments

• minnow.jpg
    minnow.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 110
  • minnow2.jpg
    minnow2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 74
60 litres is only @15gallons. I agree with Scouser here- the goldfish needs to be either rehomed or upgraded to a much larger tank depending on if its a fancy or a common/comet. This tank is of a sufficient size to keep the minnows. Do not add anything to adjust your ph- its fine where it is & your fish are adapted to it. Your nitrates are a problem though-you need to start doing some big water changes to get your nitrates below 20ppm.

Yep, the trAtes are quite high, blaming that on the goldie lol :)

You want to have em around <20ppm, although I've read high trAtes take a while to have adverse effects I really wouldn't want then that high in my tank!

A 50% PWC will get you down to 40ppm (if tap has no trAtes)

Another 2-6 hours later will give you 20ppm, so on till it's a safer level.

As said the tank is good just for the minnows, lively characters that breed like crazy so the tank will be full as can be really.

If you can I'd suggest returning the goldie to the store you got it from, or you could spend a nice few pennies on a 20-30gal (depending of type of goldie) it's up to you :)

the minnows seem to be getting longer. Also, two of them have swollen bellies. So two questions: firstly, how big can I expect them to get? And secondly, are the bellies swollen because they're full of eggs?

The females are more plump than the males, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a grandma..... ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies, but the other original question when I started this thread was: can anyone tell me how long they will get when fully grown, or do they stay the same length?:)

Yeah good point! Thanks though, 5 cm is a useful ballpark estimate.

Back
Top Bottom