keeping track of fish in 40 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olddollar95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any ideas about getting better visual coverage of hard to reach areas of my 40 breeder? Is there a lens or tube devise that would give better visual coverage from the top of the water. With the wood, rocks and plants, I can't tell if I have dead or missing fish or hidden deposits of fish waste, etc. this is a small problem, I know, but I can't account for three of my fish and don't want to dismantle to find them. Anyone?

something like this would be your best bet. But really I've seen them made with glass from picture frames and silicone. Super simple to make a glass box.

If you have a SW store that has frags, they use a small square plexiglass "box" for viewing the frags. It's four sides and one bottom pane to look thru. You can also use a specimen container like this http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Specimen-Container-Aquarium-Wide-1-Inch/dp/B0002APRLK Or if you wanna go really cheap like I do when I can't find my container, a regular clear drinking glass does the job. The image is a little distorted from the bevel, but it does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Put a mirror up as a background?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have enough filtration (filters+plants), and the fish are small, then a couple missing, dead fish in the tank is not a big deal. They'll break down to just a few bones pretty quickly, especially if there are snails to help.

Give the water a sniff - if it smells bad then there's something to get out I the tank. If not, I wouldn't worry.

thanks for the help. I now have some ideas for solving the problem.

If you have enough filtration (filters+plants), and the fish are small, then a couple missing, dead fish in the tank is not a big deal. They'll break down to just a few bones pretty quickly, especially if there are snails to help.

Give the water a sniff - if it smells bad then there's something to get out I the tank. If not, I wouldn't worry.

Yup.

And sometimes you just won't ever know. I thought I'd lost two of six Otos because, for months, I could only ever see four even when I pulled the tank apart. So I got four more, presuming I'd have a total of 8 ... And suddenly there were 10 Otos out in the open.

I've persistently worried I'm losing fish and don't know it, and when I most concerned and start looking for them I never find them.

But once I lost an Oto to a filter, and thanks to snails and shrimp ... Well, nature took it's course before I knew there was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

fish viewer

thanks for the input. I've only been back in the hobby about 5 months and I still struggle with cloudy water, etc. I will test water tonight and try to move on. At this time, it is more work than it was in the 70's.:banghead:

If you lose a fish you'll smell it, take a whiff of the open top tank,.if it smells fishy than.you probably have a casualty in there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have any snails or shrimp, you won't likely ever see a dead fish unless it's very newly dead and out in the open. They are quite efficient scavengers, and in fact that's one reason I have them in most tanks.

If I can't have shrimp, I will certainly have snails. Though I like them and would have them anyway, they do prevent water problems in the case of a death. I've never had a spike due to anything dying in a tank, not even clams.

Back
Top Bottom