Killer German blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 75g community tank that used to be super peaceful and happy until three days ago. My blue ram just layed eggs for the first time. Don't believe the male fertilized them. The female is guarding like crazy. In the past 24 hours 4 of my 5 Siamese algae eaters are dead. The female is getting super aggressive. She will guard they eggs for a few minutes then will seek out some fish the chase. Right now she seems to go after the pearl gouramis the most. About half the eggs are gone. Should I remove the rest. Anything I can do to not encourage her to lay eggs again. She is total monster right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have a 75g community tank that used to be super peaceful and happy until three days ago. My blue ram just layed eggs for the first time. Don't believe the male fertilized them. The female is guarding like crazy. In the past 24 hours 4 of my 5 Siamese algae eaters are dead. The female is getting super aggressive. She will guard they eggs for a few minutes then will seek out some fish the chase. Right now she seems to go after the pearl gouramis the most. About half the eggs are gone. Should I remove the rest. Anything I can do to not encourage her to lay eggs again. She is total monster right now.

Hmmm unless the ram is fairly larger than the SAEs I personally find it tough to believe the ram herself killed them.
But not denying it happened, I have heard about murderous Rams... Pretty much as long as you're giving them a terrific home they thrive in shes likely going to lay eggs.
So the only way I can think of to calm her, without taking away from her, would be to add more cover. I.e. Plants, rocks, woods and things of the sort to add for increased safety of all parties involved.

Only think I could think of. Water condition is great. No deaths in this tank for months. Then to have four dead in a day.

I would put in that SAE can be aggressive (rarely, and not very aggressive) but there wouldve been one left, the "champ" as you will...

My experiences with Rams have been ok, but ive heard, and been told, that they can be complete and utter monsters in certain conditions, I.E. breeding.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

The only way to prevent this is to separate the pair. As long as she is breeding she will take on this behavior. I have seen it in my 75. IMO the only draw back to cichlids is how territorial and down right nasty they get when breeding. In some ways it is neat to watch the parenting but if you are trying to keep a peaceful community it is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom