Killer hermit crabs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seem to have a rogue band of killer hermits in my 20gallon reef. I keep finding astrea snails overturned and dead. Several times I've caught the buggers eating them right out of the shell. Do you think the hermits can actually kill the snails or are they just taking advantage of astreas that have fallen? It really irks me because I'm counting on these snails to help with my hair algae problem. I also got an emerald crab but all he's good for is sitting in my finger leather and chillin. I've yet to see him actually eat any algae :?

Wow, maybe you should trade your emerald in for a newer model:) My emerald is all over the tank constantly stuffing his ?face? with whatever he can find. As to the killer hermits, I would think they just take advantage of an overturned snail. I doubt they have any pack hunting instincts . Seriously though, I keep hearing that some of the bigger snails like astreas cannot turn themselves back over and have even seen it myself. In fact it has happened to a couple of my margaritas too.

My hermits do the same thing. If the snail is upside down then I guess it is a buffet for them.

Hermit crabs are omnivores. Once they start getting larger, they will actively attack snails. When they are small, they are likely just taking advantage of overturned snails.

Heck, if I walk by a snail on a shell, I'd eat it too! :lol: That's no lady, that's my wife! :lol: :lol:

But seriously, folks:
small crabs (any kind) = good to very good
large crabs (any kind) = bad to very bad

Take my crab - please :!: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom