kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish king

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many of these guys can live in a ten gallon I keep getting told different things

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Some people say you could have about 4 but in my opinion a 20 gallon tank would be better for this species. I love this fish but it can be active at times. I've kept them before in a 10 gallon tank so it's really your call.

Agree with bettaowner. They can be kept in a 10 gallon, however, I wouldn't do it. First, they prefer company of their own kind, and are not happy when in groups lower than about 4. Secondly, they can be VERY active, and a 10 gallon is just not big enough for them to dart around the way they like too. I agree that I'd have them in no smaller than a 20 gallon, and even then, no more than 4. Just my two cents.

And just to confuse you further, they are much better in larger groups than four. The minimum is said to be 3, but they can be very shy. If you have more of them, they tend to show themselves more, and thus are more enjoyable to have.

I had a black kuhli loach manage to jump from a 25G tank, on its shelf in front of the window, to a 5G I had on a short stand, three feet lower down and three feet away. How it managed to be lucky enough to land in the 5G and not the floor, I don't know. I didn't even know he was in there for who knows how long because, being alone, he hid all the time. Found him while rescaping the plants. They sometimes get going quite fast and can be jumpers. A cover is a good idea.

If it were me, I'd choose another fish for a 10 G, or get a larger tank so you can keep a decent size group of the kuhlis. They need lots of hiding spots, and will try to wiggle through the smallest space, so no rough rocks that could really scrape them up. Lots of plants, wood, smooth rocks, for hiding spots. I had three of the striped ones who spent their days twined among the floating stems I had rooting while they floated, in a thickly planted tank. I used to wonder if they were sick, but they were just, forgive the term, hanging out.

Personally I think a 29G is better, and you could easily keep 10 or so, with some other small fish species for the mid or top levels. Strictly my opinion.

kuhli loaches

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hijacking: How about a heavily planted 20g long? No other bottom dwellers present.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No other fish or just no other bottom dwellers? I would say 10 max (no other fish).

Currently 3 golden tetras, 3 longfin blue danios, 1 Amano shrimp and tom of MTS. No DW or rocks for hiding but lots and lots of plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom