Kuhnini's 40 gal freshwater fishless cycle has commenced!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I guess mother nature was just trying to show me she is in charge here! :eyes: The magic finally happened! :dance:

4/11/12
Ammonia 0.0 ppm
Nitrites 0.0 ppm
Nitrates .80 ppm
ph 7.6
ph high 8.2

Ok, is it time for a 90% water change to get the Nitrates under control...then...then...then...ahhh...add fish as long as numbers are acceptable after the water change? :drool:

You want to get the nitrate as low as possible. I would aim for <5.
Add fish no later than in 24 hours, or the bacteria will start to expire without a source of ammonia.

Gratz on completing the cycle!

Thank you Ram8349! Running through the house after typing this to get my water changer! Woooohoooo!

Wait, wait, wait!!! You really want to wait atleast a few days of steadily getting the ammonia & nitrites to zero out. If they do, then its safe to say your cycled! When your ready for fish, you will need to skip the ammonia and do a big water change (possibily more than one) with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water to get your nitrates down to your tap level. Adjust the temperature if it was cranked up. If your not familiar with 'drip acclimation', check out U-tube for how-to videos. :)

You have taught me too well jlk! Once I settled down from the excitement of 0.0 Nitrates I came to my senses and dosed ammonia back up to 4.0 and will look at the results tomorrow. I got a big kick out of the "Wait, wait, wait!!!" you started your post with, it gave me a belly laugh.

Its very exciting to see those baby blues!! I hope I didnt scare you too much! LOL! Seriously though, I have seen tanks do some strange things once those numbers first zero, so its always best to be sure! :)

It's update time! What a wild ride in one week. I thought my readings as of my last post were pretty consistent but then the weirdness began. I did a 90% water change to try to get my nitrates down after two days of ammonia and nitrites being zero but my Nitrates were still through the roof. I tested after the 90% water change and no difference in the nitrate reading. Did another 50% water change and again, no difference in the nitrate reading.

Time to go across the street to my trusty chemistry teacher friend. I told him the problem and the first thing he did was read the instructions that came with the API Master Test Kit. One of the nitrate bottles are suppose to be vigoursly shaken BEFORE putting drops in the test tubes. I had never done that. After doing that the nitrate test read even higher. Second thing he did was look at the lot number on the bottle and it was outdated. Off to Petco to get it replaced. They were great! Instead of giving me a new bottle, they gave me a entirely new kit!

Back home to test with the oversight of said neighborhood chemistry teacher. For whatever reason all of the tests read "better" as far as completing the cycle. Zero ammonion and nitrites with nitrates coming in at 10.

Back to Petco to finally buy fish. I am now the proud owner of six Serpae Tetras and after three days at home they seem very happy. There owner is quite happy too. Furthermore Petco gave me $5.00 credit towards my next fish purchase in addition to replacing my test kit. I'm thinking about getting some Boesemani Rainbows next. Might even get the itch to go tonight! :)

Congrats!!!! And a great job doing the detective work to figure out your nitrate issue! Look forward to seeing some pics! :)

I want to say thank you to all in this forum. You folks made my jump back in to the hobby a great experience. The many threads I read were a great help! I appreciate your patience with my impatience. My 6 Serpae Tetras and my one Red Tailed Shark also thank you as their introduction in to my tank was stress free and they are happy. I have posted pictures in the appropriate sub forum and am looking forward to the great enjoyment of an aquarium! A special thanks out to jlk and librarygirl for your help and constant encouragement!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom