Learning reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaboke

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted to go reef so my husband said you have a 20g start with that and learn if that works you can have a 120 g so he didn't have to say that twice so here I am I understand that if I start with uncured live rock I can cycle my tank with that and I don't need a HOB filter what I do need is a good skimmer ( what do you prefer ) and what do you think about this light to get starded http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15690&N=2004+113030

This is a learning tank so i don't think I'm gone add fisch its more like invertabers , live rock live sand and maby some moderate light corals or muschrooms
Is this like a decent plan what do you think

Kaboke

Everyone starts somewhere. Frankly, starting small can actually turn out to be harder than going bigger. The smaller the tank, the more problems can be amplified. The larger, the more diluted they can be. It does of coarse depend on the problem in the first place.

Nano's are neat and cute I think. Go for it.

Actually, I am also going to move the first part to the Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started section.

Welcome fellow newbie....
Im getting close to picking up the goodies and get things rolling for my 1st SW system.
The people on this board have been awsome in answering questions and giveing ideas.
I also took the time to read up and still am reading up on SW.
This book "The New Marine Aquarium" book by Michael S. Paletta. is a great starting point, well at least it was for me hehe, It will go over all the basics.

Hope I've been able to help a little

If it were my tank, which are the products I have on my tank, I would go with:

Aquaclear 110: This can be turned into a small refugium. Search "aquaclear fuge" in a couple forums and you should receive an extensive list of modified filters that are very easy to construct. Media can also be used in turn with the "fuge" setup.

Two 50w heaters: I prefer Tronic due to their small size and reliability. You can place them in your filter, once modified ;)

For a broad range of corals and even low-light sps, you can easily get away with a Coralife 24" 2x65w hood. If you would like the ability to keep higher light corals, a T5 24" 2x24w would suit nicely. There are many options to consider depending on what corals you would like to keep.

Skimmers aren't necessary in such a small tank. I do recommend purchasing a refractometer.

Do check out wetwebmedia.com for aquarium related information and hellolights.com, marinedepot.com, and bigalsonline.com for products :)

Back
Top Bottom