Led system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I was watching some video on YouTube when I saw an advertisement for an led system that was just a strip with an adhesive side. This also had a remote to change color, function and all the bells and whistles. I was set to get it until I saw the price, which was around $75 for around 12". But after some searching on eBay I found the same thing made by a different company, and it was not aquarium specific. But it was water proof. It was $36 for 16'. You can cut these to shorten the length. Do you think it's a good buy? I have a 55 African cichlid, and a 30 gallon planted community.

The LED strip you seen was the new Current Satellite LED plus flex strip. I have two 24" Current Sat Plus fixtures (not the flex strips) and absolutely love them. They have white daylight LEDs (6500k) along side the RGB diodes. RGB chips are good for color enhancement and for complimenting all white LEDs by adding a subtle extra reds, greens, and blues for a "full spectrum" effect. This is beneficial for plant growth and color reflection in plants and colorful fish. Probably the light strips you seen on eBay are for all RGB lights, these will be very low in PAR (photosynthetic available radiation) and won't really benefit plants without a higher PAR fixture to work along side it.

Finnex makes budget friendly LED fixtures for growing plants. Or the Current fixtures I mentioned earlier would be nice but are more expensive...

So are you going to add these to the light fixtures you have now? Not as a stand alone lighting solution right?

Hopefully stand alone, I was going to tape them to the glass that the light I have now goes through, and remember I can double and tripple the leds because its long enough.

Might be okay for the cichlid tank if it's fish-only... Might look dim though and the white light setting might look pinkish. The planted tank however, I don't think those RGB lights are strong enough to support plants. What type of plants do you have and what are the dimensions of that tank? I think for the planted tank, you can mix those RGB lights to work in collaboration with a Finnex Fugeray for instance for low to moderate light plants.

Yeah I have a 30 tall, with low light plants, excluding my dwarf hair grass, I am thinkig of adding java fern.

So I seriously doubt the DHG would survive under those RGB lights. It's really hard to say because there's no PAR data nor do you have a PAR meter to determine the level of light you're getting. But if you're determined to get those RGB lights, keep in mind that if you see your plants not fairing well, additional light should be added.

I bought these for my 55g freshwater tank and I had a old light housing laying around and did this

image-331766936.jpg

image-4290003265.jpg

image-2092916748.jpg

image-1706698764.jpg

image-3092050063.jpg

The last pic was it on the white. It's not very white!!

I had bought the wire connectors to make them link together on each wire run. And yes the white is not white it's off pinkish.

My dhg is already wilting, I have a standard florescent light right now, dont know it because I bought it and the tank 2nd hand and the numbers are scratched off.

DHG needs at least moderate to high light with CO2 injection or a good liquid carbon source (i.e. Excel, API CO2 booster, or Glut) to do well.

I have flourish excel, api co2 booster, and api leaf zone heres what my dhg looks like

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130714_183003.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130714_183003.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 51
How long ago did you plant it? And was it purchased grown submersed or emersed in those dry gel packs like at Petsmart?

What you're dosing is good.... Excel and API CO2 booster are practically the same thing so you just have to use one of them. API Leaf Zone is only Potash and Iron... you're missing a lot of the nutrients... I suggest getting Flourish Comprehensive (maybe learn PPS-Pro later) and start dosing ASAP -- looks like some deficiencies going on....

Amazon.com: Seachem Flourish 500ml: Pet Supplies

It was a gel pack at my petco. My petco is actually very good. There is also a petsmart right down the road, that is also great. The people in the fish department actually know what they are taking about.

How long ago did you plant that? Might still be acclimating from being grown emersed to being submerged. Plus, get the flourish comp and more lighting if you want it to carpet.

How long ago did you plant that? Might still be acclimating from being grown emersed to being submerged. Plus, get the flourish comp and more lighting if you want it to carpet.

Thursday, which was the same day I added my fish. It was a last minute grab.

Yeah in my experience, DHG will go through a melt and bounce back once it acclimates given that the ferts, lights, and co2 (or liquid carbon) is at acceptable levels.

Thanks! I think im going to try it. Just on my 55g for now. And if its too dim. I can always use the lighting I have now.

The inexpensive strip LED lighting is usually not temperature (K) accurate and white is warm white to yellow-ish at best.

I have used these to accent stereo cabinets, kitchens, etc but I would not suggest these as primary lighting for any bio-sensitive environment.

JMHO :angel: but I'm no authority here... YMMV

Back
Top Bottom